Review by Braben

"Well, it won’t make you scream, but it’s a rather mediocre game."

Screamer 2 is a racing game made by Westwood a lot of time ago. I have never played the first one, in fact I didn’t even knew there was a first one, so I am not going to be able to compare.

The number of cars available is very limited, there are only four average looking cars (plus some hidden ones) but they are very few in case. Also the tracks available are very limited too, only six (and only one hidden).
There are four teams to choose from, but the only thing that makes them different is their logo and that they change the color of the cars, they are there for no reason actually.

Driving our vehicles is really difficult, I don’t know if it is because of the realistic controls all the cars have or because they are not very well made (probably the reason is that I suck at racing games, excepting in Mario Kart), but I was only able to play properly with the beginners car.

In terms of options I think the game does pretty well, you can change of lot of settings like the suspension, tyre pressure (depending on the weather), handling (more or less sensitivity), brakes, etc, yet I don’t know if they work well or what because I know basically nothing about cars.

There are four way of playing: Arcade, a single race against the other teams; Championship, you know what is this about; Time Attack, to try to beat your records, and you will also play against a ghost car, yet you can also play without time and that ghost car just for fun; and Multiplayer, with online options included.

The graphics are very good, the cars don’t look very good but that is only because their design is mediocre, the 3D models are quite good, and the tracks look good too. There are also five different views to choose from while driving, but I always play with the same one (from behind).
The music is the typical techno-rock crap we find in these games, I found that music nauseating, but if you like that stuff you’ll like it, I think the music here is not important anyway.

I only bought this game because I wanted to try a driving simulator of the new era (it was from the new era back when I bought it), because the only racing games I used to play were Mario Kart and...basically Mario Kart. I know I can’t compare Mario Kart with a more serious game like this one, but later I tried some chapters of the Need For Speed series and they were way better. Anyway, don’t pay much attention on what I say because racing games are not among my favorite, but if what racing game fans like are lots of expensive sports cars and tracks, you wont find that here, try the Need For Speed series instead.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 12/15/03