Review by mozwazherez

"One of the best in the Tomb Raider Series."

Welcome to Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, one of the many games in the Tomb Raider series. Enjoy yourself as you play the role of Lara Croft and try to find treasure. Listen to the realistic sounds, and watch as Lara falls, jumps, and kicks.

Plot: 10/10

When I purchased this game, I did not know that this plot was going to be much different from the other tomb raider plots - but it is. Instead of playing the role of the 30 something Lara Croft, you play the Lara Croft of age 16 - the age of boys, pimples, and hair for an average girl of that age. Though Lara is not your average girl. Instead of the worrying about boys, pimples, and hair, she is worried about traps and pits.

You see, when Lara was reading National Geographic, she read about Professor Werner Von Croy, a famous archeologist and explorer. Lara starts to think about searching for adventure, and she gets an idea in her head about exploring with Von Croy. Finally, after talking with her parents, and begging with them, they let her go with Von Croy, and the adventure through the world begins.

Audio 8/10

The audio in this game is better than I expected, though not as great as it should be for what I paid for the game. The games theme song is a very nice song, one that I like to hum while surfing GameFAQs. The action sounds, such as walking, running, and jumping, sound very realistic. The only sound in this game that I do not like are the sounds or Lara and Van Croy talking, because sometimes, when they talk, their mouths do not move, which I find to be really weird.

Graphics 7/10

The graphics in this game are good, but not that great. The bodies of Lara and Van Croy have some rough edges and bumps sticking out when they jump or run quickly. Everything looks very realistic, and all of the graphics look like what they are supposed to look like.
The only problem that I have with the graphics is that sometimes, in a part of the game, the graphics are fuzzy and distorted. Sometimes, half of the screen is fuzzy, and the other half shows up normally. This leads me to believe that the graphics and sound take a toll on processors, because the game is sluggish for me, and I have an 800 MHz processor, which meets the system requirements fully.

Fun Level: 8/10

This game is fun, though you can get easily impatient with it. There are so many codes and actions for Lara that really confused me when I first played the game. I would advise that you read and re-read the manual before playing. This will help you a great deal during the game, so you will not be constantly checking the manual when you need Lara to jump across a cliff, like I did.
It is fun to play once you get the hang of it, so be patient, play it for a few days, and you should grow to love it.

Buy vs. Rent

I would recommend that you rent this game, and, if you like it, then buy it. You will like this game if you are the type of person that is very patient with your games, and you do not expect to win overnight. You definitely will not win overnight, because once you think that you are done, you find yourself presented with another problem.
This is not the kind of game that is easy to love, so, if you do buy it, make sure you have a 30 day return policy with the store. If you don't like it after 20 days, then you probably won't like it forever, so return it.

Re-play?

Once you have won the game, which is very hard , you will probably not want to re-play it again, because you will know the whole strategy to winning, so it won't be that fun.

I gave this game an 8 because of its high-quality graphics, creative plot, realistic sound, and great fun. This is one of the few adventure games that are truly interesting and easy to enjoy.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/21/01, Updated 08/21/01