Review by Rdndblck

"This is what all games should be. A game, not a show of technoligy."

Now I know what you're saying, in the age of great graphics, why does this game deserve such a good rating? Well, several reason, #1 if you're one of those gamers that more into the game then the graphics, then this game is a must have. The way I stumbled across this game is kinda strange. I have an extremely old computer at the house, I mean this thing is old, I'm talking Windows 3.1 old, and I was bored and looking for a game that would run on this OLD computer and low and behold, one day at Walley World (Wal-Mart) I see this game sitting there on sale. What the heck, I buy it and bring it home. Best PC purchase I ever made. This game has it all... except great graphics. Sure that annoying code to get into the game gets on your nerves, but once you're in, you won't be leaving for a while. First off, you have to decide where to put your base. Once you get that done, it's time to smoke some alien trash. You're first reaction to the air to air combat will probably be one like "Yawn," but just stick with it, the good stuff is coming. Once you've downed a UFO, this game really shines. The ground combat is what this game is truely about. You land your ship and deploy your troops into an endless number of randomly generated ground scenarioes. Sure, your poorly armed crew will have some trouble "neutralizing" the enemy, but once you do, then you get to take your prizes back to base ond research them. This task can easily become over bearing, but just stick with it, as it will soon prove worth while. You see, after you research the alien tech you can use it for your own purposes, in other words, use their weapons the dispose of them. As your research more and more, you'll eventually be able to build new ships and weapons.

An interesting twist is the fact that sooner or later, you're gonna have to forget about total destruction of every alien on the ground battles, because you'll need to capture and study them. "Catching" the aliens you need is not an easy task because some will play "mind games" with your troops and in some cases turn them against you.

Sure, as I've said, the graphics and sounds are not new age, but hey, this game was made some time ago. This game is the real deal when it comes to depth and replayability. I've had this game for what seems like years, and I know I've played and replayed it soooo many times it's almost scary. If you're looking for something that will entertain you, not just dazel you with it's awesome graphics, this game is a "real gamer's" dream.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/22/99, Updated 12/22/99