Review by Mumbly P

"I need the Jaws of Life to pry me from this game!"

Let me start off by saying that this game is probably the best PC game available. If you are somewhat interested in PC gaming, then do yourself a favor and buy this masterpiece! I could rant and rave of the wonders of this game until the cows come home, but I think I will hurry up and write this review so I can get back to playing. Seriously, this game has such an exceptional plot that it rivals any conspiracy related novel. The difference is that you are in command, which makes it so much better. One of the great things about this game is the Role Playing ability. You start out with a certain amount of points to upgrade a number of abilities ranging from lock picking, hacking, rifle, heavy weaponry, pistol, swimming, medicine, and many more. With points awarded throughout the game for completing the game's many tasks, you can upgrade to make your player a master at whatever your personal tastes desire. I myself, decided to expend my points on many different abilities so that I can be well rounded and use all of the great options available. With the plethora of points awarded through the game, most people will be able to be well rounded too.
Another great thing about this game is the plot. I will not go into too much detail for the fact of ruining the game, and because there is so much to cover that it would be impossible to write it all out. You are JC Denton, a nano-augmented agent, one of only two in the world. The other is your brother Paul Denton. You work for UNATCO, an anti-terrorist organization. Soon you discover that the head of FEMA, the government group in charge of national disasters, is up to no good. From then on out, you run into plenty of non-playable-characters, or NPC's that really move the story along.
Now for the quick rundown of the basic game elements:

Game Play: Excellent work by Ion Storm and Eidos in the making of this game. It is an action/adventure/RPG that transcends each individual genre to create an epic like no other. 10

Graphics: While top-notch graphics, the only problem is the fact that it is based on the Unreal Tournament engine that creates some graphical problems with some video cards. 10

Sound: Probably the most important object to implement correctly into a game such as this, and initially this is where the game shines! Not only do the mouths move with the speech, albeit not always on cue, but also when an enemy soldier hears you, they call out for you to show yourself. And when you don't, they talk to comfort themselves. 10

Control: Another key area, it is good overall. Best to use a mouse and keyboard. 10

Overall: Basically, this is a game that is long, engaging, fun, entertaining, and rewarding. It raises the bar for the first-person perspective genre. You can't go wrong with Deus Ex! Need I even rant anymore? If so, then you haven’t read my review! 10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/08/00, Updated 08/08/00