Review by JET

"An extremely fun game with great replay value"

As soon as I read my first preview of Deus Ex I anxiously awaited its release. When I finally had the cd in my greedy clutches I was quite excited to see how this game by the acclaimed Warren Spector would hold up to my critical eye. I was met with quite a pleasant surprise. Here's my rundown:

Graphics (9/10): The graphics in this game are quite exceptional. The character models are very detailed and move with a great deal of realism, if they seem a bit hyperactive at times. The explosions are average, but the game as a whole is very appealing at a visual standpoint. One bad thing though is although my computer specs are fairly good I still get quite a bit of slowdown in gameplay at times due to the amount of action taking place on the screen, but that is really my only gripe about the visuals. Aside from these rare points of slowdown the game runs very smoothly.

Sound (8/10): The sound in this game is generally very well done. From the cursing of wounded enemies to the bang of your shotgun. Some of the weapons could have had better sounds, and the explosions weren't all that great though. The voice acting in this game is extremely well done and while in some games the voices can be quite irritating, it was very good in this game. All in all sound in this game is very solid.

Gameplay (10/10): This is the most important part of any game. Fortunately for Deus Ex, this is also where it shines. There are so many options available to you throughout this game that you may not even think of them until you've already passed them! (example: When you're told to either kill a terrorist or leave the room and your partner will, you can also choose to turn around and kill your partner and it will affect the game later on) Many things you do will affect the plotline of the game later on, and there are a variety of ways to approach different situations. Do you storm into the building with guns blazing, or will you sneak in the back way while silently picking off the guards? Perhaps you might prefer hacking into the buildings security systems and turning your opponents defense turrets against them? These are just some of many options that will be available to you when you play Deus Ex. The game takes place in places from New York City and Hong Kong to hidden military installations and the fabled Area 51. Throughout the game you'll acquire skill points for accomplishing specific tasks, you use these skills points to raise your abilities in things such as demolitions, rifles, computers, electronics, and lockpicking. It's usually best to pick an area to specialize in and go with it so that you won't get caught lacking at the end of the game. This game is an absolute joy to play.

Replay Value (10/10): There are three different endings to this game, which greatly adds to the replay value. You can play differently each time you go through. Maybe you'd rather be silent this time around instead of blowing everything to tiny pieces? Fine, enjoy. There's a great many options available to you when you play this game, so once you've beaten it you'll still be coming back for more gaming. The replay value of this game is excellent.

Overall (9/10): This game is extremely polished and offers a great gaming experience for anyone who opens this box. With the variety of options to take on the various situations you'll encounter and a great plotline outlining government conspiracy, this'll be one of the best games you've ever played. It was an absolute joy to play through and I believe others will agree this game deserves to be put up as a candidate for action game of the year.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/27/00, Updated 08/27/00