Review by Valore

"I'll play till I rot, or DE2 comes out..."

I have played games for more than half my life. Some are good, some are bad, some deserve a first class ticket to the nearest waste disposal unit, while a small few make it into a section I like to call the cult section. These are the games that are just so damned good, that even 5 years after you played it, you would still consider pulling it out of your closet and giving it another go. Games in this category would include Starcraft, Warcraft II, Diablo. Now the latest addition to this list, Deus Ex.

I found out about Deus Ex while browsing about ign.com looking for a decent game to buy to keep me company, as I was bored out of my skull. I checked out the review on Deus Ex, which incidentally scored a 9.something, and decided to give it a go.

When you crank it up, you have to go through a well thought out training mission, which basically familiarises you with the gameplay itself. Its short, and to the point. After a brief intro, the fun begins.

The sounds are excellent. The conversations are both well scripted and acted out. The voices that stand out the most are probably Agent Hermann's german accent and JC's superslick secret agent voice. The weapons have sounds which you'd expect, but the atmosphere is really highlighted by the excellent music.

Graphics themselves, moulded after the UT engine, are nothing spectacular, but perfect for the dark brooding atmosphere, where Deus Ex is set. The models may get a little fuzzy when you get really up close and personal, but overall, they're pretty good, especially when things get blown up by your GEP gun.

The best part of the game is basically in the gameplay itself. The only ones who probably wouldn't appreciate it are the generation of gamers brought up with Half-life style 'kill everything if you want' gameplay. This game depends highly on your choice of skills. You can get all the weapon masteries and blaze your way through people, or you can shine up your sneaking skills and zap people from behind with an electric prod. Its entirely up to you. The versatility of the game is basically what makes it so great. Vents provide access to locked areas. Or you can hack computers and get em to shoot the enemy and open doors, its your choice.

That about caps it. I wanna go get back to my game now. Someone call me when the sequel comes out, so I can uproot myself just long enough to buy it.

Graphics:9
Gameplay:10
Sounds:9
Presentation:9.5
Overall:10, cause the good outweigh the microscopic flaws.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/02, Updated 03/11/02