Review by hypersonic966

"Deus Ex, a perfect combination of elements and plot."

Deus Ex is the most incredible game I've ever seen. I've never seen a game with such depth and detail. I'll admit, that I usually play games for the gameplay, but it was the plot of DX that kept me (and still keeps me) glued to my computer. From the moment you play the game, you'll see what keeps it fresh. Instead of the traditional linear role-playing game, where the storyline moves you along, and only a few side projects are available, Deus Ex delievers hundreds of ways to play through. It even has mutliple endings to suit a person's personality. Or you can just take them all. The fun just keeps on going with the Deus Ex Multiplayer, which, I'm sad to say, isn't as great as it could be. The server is no longer up (at the time of this review) and there are too few levels to play in. Included with the Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition set though, is a version of Unreal Editor, with which, you can create a catered level, to fit your taste. This adds even more possibilities to the game, as you can shy away from the predeployed levels and make your own campaigns.

Fortunately, Deus Ex is far superior as a single-player game then it is as a multiplayer one. If the role-playing factors weren't enough, the first-person shooter factor adds even more appeal to an already incredible game. With the arrival of DX2 not far on the horizon, fans of the DX series will have more to cheer about. However, DX does have a few drawbacks in my opinion. One, is the presence of cheats, which, in my opinion, ruins the fun of a game. But I suppose, they are in every game known to man...But, I won't lie and say that Deus Ex is an easy game. In fact, it is very challenging, even on the lower difficulty levels...so cheats may be a necessity to players, not familar with Deus Ex's controls or gameplay. Secondly, the dialogue of the characters in Hong Kong and Paris are horrible. And thirdly, you can't add verbal dialogue to custom missions, which, in my opinion, is a big thing. However, I shall now make my judgement.

SCORING:

Graphics - 9/10
The graphics are not perfect, as they run on the Unreal engine which would have looked nice if it didn't have such a strange texture. The detail is very good, but it tends to make the game lag when you're in a particularly ''busy'' area.

Sound - 10/10
I would sincerly wish to shake the hand of the man who created the music for this game. The soundtrack fits right in with the gameplay, as good VGM should. The Wan Chai Market area has a realistic Oriental song with a dash of techno, its one of my favorites. The voice acting of the characters is excellent, but as I mentioned before, the accents of the Parisian and Chinese characters is very poor. However, the music and the sound effects revive the score.

Gameplay - 9/10
The plot of this game is excellent. Take one mysterious character, add a dash of conspiracies, sprinkle a few plot twists and stir together. Makes tasty soup that should be served hot and fresh, serves a lot of hungry gamers. However, there are times when the plot can get very confusing, which may give your ''storyline soup'', a nasty after-taste... All-in-all, its a good FPS with a very good plot behind it.

Replay Value - 10/10
This game, is one of those rare games, that has enough choices to make, that you can play through, multiple times and it'll still stay fresh. While the multiplayer us a tad weak, and there are a lack of servers, especially now, the single-player is good.

Final Judgement - 10/10

Perfection. This is the best word I can use to describe this game. Buy it, and do yourself a favor.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/02, Updated 01/03/03