Review by BornIn1142

"A game definitely worth playing."

Among the masterpieces of Warren Spector, Deus Ex is a fairly addictive game, and even if it wouldn't be, anyone who only completes this game only once is a fool. The true marvel of DX comes out after 4-5 playthroughs. Once this is done, you will truly realize how much there is to do in this game. Personally, I have completed DX some 20+ plus times, and - guess what - I'm still discovering new things.

STORY: 10/10 – Exceptional.
Set in the future, this game puts you in the position of JC Denton, a rookie agent of the United Nations' Anti-Terrorist Coalition. JC Denton is only a code-name though. You can assign yourself a real name at the beginning, but it's only used in a few instances in the whole game. Agent Denton isn't your everyday trooper however. Being the second overall “Nanoaugmented” Agent in UNATCO (The first if your brother, Paul), JC can have super-human abilities which you can upgrade during the game. After a few missions for UNATCO however, you will begin to see through the intricate web of lies and deceit around you. Expect full-scale conspiracies and deception at every turn.
DX is a well-balanced mix of science-fiction and drama, plus some tidbits of truth from everyday life.

GRAPHICS: 8/10 – Not that bad at all.
While not exactly up-to-date, the graphics of DX still get the job done. Since Deus Ex was released in 2000, you simply cannot expect “perfect” graphics. But like I said, they get the job done. The only weak point I can find is the character design anyway, which could be described as… fair, but they just don't look as curvy as they're supposed to. And while some animations look fairly convincing, like every character constantly breathing as they’re supposed to, in the long run, they're only mediocre.
You don’t judge a game by it's graphics anyway… right?

SOUND: 9/10 – Good, very good.
The only things that prevents me from giving a 10 are the terrible Chinese and French accents. Which really are terrible. Every other voices are done very well though, with the possible exception of JC's own constant low-monotone voice. But even he can get emotional at times…
Sound effects are generally good and realistic.
As for the music, IT'S PERFECT!
Most of the music in Deus Ex is an exceptional techno mix and I just can’t let the main theme play without silently humming to it. Two words: Very Good.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10 – Excellent.
While technically being a First-Person Shooter, Deus Ex also adds an RPG element with the addition of skills and, to a lesser extent, augmentations.
As with all RPG's, you get skills points for completing the goals given to you. There are primary and secondary goals, but only primary goals have to be completed. Secondary goals are optional, but it never hurts doing them because of the rewards, which is usually equipment or skill points.
Skill points themselves can be assigned to different categories like Heavy Weapons, Hacking, or Swimming. At first, of course, you will terribly suck at everything, but as the game progresses and you start getting and investing skill points, you will actually be able to wield a Flamethrower without being slowed down by it's weight, or pick a lock with only one lockpick.
I've seen a lot of people complaining that the freedom in this game is just two ways of completing some parts of the game. (E.g. an air duct and a key to get into a building.)
This is completely wrong. There are only three or four instances in the whole game where you DON'T have several ways to complete your objectives.
Not only that. If you really want to, you can complete this game without killing anyone(which is hard, but possible), or complete it without using any inventory item(which is really, REALLY hard).
Granted, the AI isn't exactly the best(and keep in mind – I'm not saying it's the worst either), but it doesn't really detract from your gaming experience.

Multiplayer, while not included, can be installed by downloading the latest patch.

REPLAYABILITY: 10/10 – No doubt on this one.
As I said before, this game is a land of endless possibilities. You can complete this game dozens of times and still find something new. Be it only a secret air duct, an alternate entrance, or a hidden Datacube... You will find something new every time.
There's nothing else to say on the matter.

Overall, I give this game a 9.4, which, sadly, has to become a 9.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/28/04