Review by Ice Wind

"Third times a charm..."

Blizzard has always had a way with putting out excellent strategy-type games, and WarCraft III is no exception. The 3rd installment in the stellar WarCraft series, WarCraft III introduces new features, levels, terrain, units, and races, expanding on it's 8 year old predecessor in many ways. While the game does borrow some ideas from Blizzard's past strategy games (StarCraft fans will notice a lot of them), WarCraft III still offers a fresh and long overdue overhaul to the WarCraft world.

Gameplay - 9/10

This game has wonderful gameplay. There's no other way to describe it. Unless you're allergic to strategy and simple mouse operation, this game is a piece of cake to pick up. It's possible to play through the entire campaign while only clicking 1 button. Now that's good control. Units can sometimes be difficult to control, especially when you have a large amount of them, as other units won't move out of the way to let the moving units pass, which can lead to frustrating traffic jams. Nothing that I've encountered in the single player mode has been horribly out of balance either (I've yet to try out the multiplayer). In addition, the Heroes that we all know and love can now be equipped with items, and gain levels, much like an RPG. You surely won't be disappointed in this area.

Sound - 8/10

The sound effects in WarCraft III are excellent. From the twang of bowstrings to arrows flying through the air, to corpses impacting with a Human Farm, you'll love it right down to the last dropâ„¢. All the units have their trademark ''Click on me a lot so I can insult you'' Blizzard touch to them as well. The music is nothing to write home about, however, but it still lends to the atmosphere anyway.

Graphics - 10/10

Wow. Simply wow. This is a full 3d strategy game, unlike other's which are 'just' pseudo-3d. Units look great, and the environments you slaughter in are stunning. Forests, cliffs, rivers, waterfalls, oceans... everything is rendered in 3d. It's possible to change the camera angle from a near-overhead angle, to a lower, along the horizon type angle to get a further view. The only complaint I have is that the control panel's are a bit large, and restrict your view somewhat.

Story - 7/10

Blizzard games usually give you the chance to explore the story from every angle (IE, race), and they don't stop here. Every race is represented in the story, and you can take command of all of them. The actual story itself seems a little weak (It could pick up later, I haven't completed the game yet).

Replayibility - 10/10

I imagine that the multiplayer aspect of WarCraft III will act much like StarCraft's did. Suck in tens of thousands of users, and not let them go for a good 4 years. Suffice to say, Multiplayer alone gives this game near-infinite replayibility. WarCraft III now supports 12 person multiplayer as well.

Pluses

+ Humorous insults from repeatedly clicking on units are back!
+ 2 new races to play with (Night Elf, Undead Scourge)
+ Hero level system is unique

Minuses

- Large control panel restricts view
- Game is $10 more than usual ($59.99 USD)
- The amount of time you're going to spend playing this

Blizzard fans beware. You're going to spend a lot of time on your PC.

NOTE: Overall score is not an average

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/04/02, Updated 07/04/02