Review by ohnoitschris

"Good, Mindless Fun."

First off, I highly recommend this game for anyone, because of the low price tag ($20), the huge levels, and just plain mindless fun. If your looking for an FPS that tosses a ton of enemies at you and has NO objectives, your in for a treat.

Graphics: 8.5/10

Wow! Nicely done detail on the 3D figures... almost made me think I was playing a Dreamcast game... the guns looked like actual guns and the enemies looked like, well... enemies! You could tell the difference from one monster to another easily. The baddies in this game are original and can pack a punch! Lots of eye candy and no blocky objects lets this game look clear and bright. It's a pity that I'm playing on minimum requirements, therefore I can't really explain the animation... :(

Nice sound too... the music is well done and is fitting to the environments, and the sound effects are superb. The monsters yell kind of a ''YEARGHHHH!'' sound and sound crisp and clear, even with an old sound card. Not to mention the one-liners that Sam says (Yeargh yourself).

Control: 10/10

Simple, easy to learn controls. If you've played Half life, or most PC FPS's, you'll know what I'm talking about. W, A, S, D to move; strafe, and the mouse to look;turn and fire. Although the mouse seems a bit sensitive, it's useable (you'll get used to it).

Gameplay: 9.2/10

Good, mindless fun. Since the game can throw a ton of enemies at you, nothing is more fun than killing 30 things within a minute's time. Even though the concept may seem boring, try a demo version of Serious Sam, and then come back and say that. If you want a good plot with objectives, you won't enjoy this little gem. All you basically do is go from start to finish, blasting away at a couple of hundred monsters. But you'll enjoy it. The levels are somewhat long, and nicely done. Oh, and did I mention multiplayer? Multiplayer is kind of a throw-in extra to enhance the game's replayability. One map? Meh.

So to sum it up, you'll like this game, unless you don't like FPS's and like deep plots. I say buy it; $20, well done, and you'll play this for a while. Oh, and did I mention multiplayer?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/01, Updated 04/23/01

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Commenting is anonymous and not required to vote.