Review by conkergregg

"Fun game, annoying control."

Hitman is a very fun game, however, it does have it's shortcomings. There are some annoying things that detract from it's fun factor, but overall it is worth the price of admission.

Story

The story in this game is decent. At first it seems that you are simply a hired gun working for people known only as ''The Agency'', however by the end you get to learn more about the hitman's past, and why he has a strange barcode on the back of his head...

Gameplay

Hitman's gameplay has it's pro's and con's. First of all, it is a brilliantly fun third person shooting game if that is how you go about it. However, it is a lot more fun as a game that you use stealth instead of firepower, although most missions in the game allow you to use both. There are many different things you can do to conceal your tracks in this game. For example, after killing a male character in the game, you can take his clothes. Although the change is a little unrealistic, because the clothes change is instant. You can also drag corpses around to hide them, but if the corpse is seen, all guards around you will become suspicious. The missions themselves can be long, and the game would have benefited from an in-game save feature, but there is none. The missions can be very hard, but even so, the game is fairly short. The biggest problem with Hitman's gameplay is the control. The camera constantly went haywire on me and the hitman's movement caused me problems too. One especially annoying control problem is dragging corpses. While dragging a corpse, you can't see where you are going and the whole dragging process is painfully slow. Even with these problem's, I almost forgot about them because of hitman's arsenal. You can use knifes to slit throats, piano wire to strangle people and all sorts of guns and gadgets. Overall, hitman's gameplay is above par.

Graphics

The visuals in this game are very nice. The hitman himself is done very nicely, and the area around him is very well done. The only thing I had a problem with was the water, it was very odd and bugged me a lot. But that is just a minor flaw, everything else is done beautifully.

Sound

Unfortunately for me, the speech on my game didn't work, but all the other sound effects were sharp. Gunshots, the ''Ching'' when you pull out your piano wire, people begging for mercy. My friend who I got the game from tells me the speech is decent and the voice acting average.

Replayability

This game is one of those games where it is fun just to fool around killing everything in sight, so even though it is a short game, you should enjoy it for quite a while after you beat it.

Buy, or rent?

Actually, you're better off borrowing it off of a friend first to see if you like it, then if you do, buy it. It's a fun game that you will play for quite a long time.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/02, Updated 10/12/02