Review by jack cole

"A great game with more greatness than before"

The long awaited port to the PC has finally arrived. With beefed up graphics and gameplay this game is what Halo should have been.

The heart of Halo and what made it Game of the Year in 2001 on Xbox. You can only carry 2 guns at a time, and have the ability to melee attack. There are many different vehicles, and the A.I. is impressive. Never scripted, always acts on the situation. The levels are amazingly huge, 10 in total. But it will take you a many hours to beat them all. It will take weeks (actual gameplay time) to beat them in all difficulties.

The Online play is the most anticipated feature of Halo PC. There are 6 new levels, all vehicle compatible. They are huge and most of them are made for 16 players. Yes, that's right, 16 players dueling it out online! There is also 2 new guns. A flamethrower and Fuel Rod gun. Veterans will recognize the Fuel Rod from later single player levels that the Elite Grunts used, but self destructed when dropped. There is also 1 new vehicle, and 2 more vehicles from singleplayer available for multiplayer. There is 5 different game types, and many options. You can make a new game mode with customized selections of your choice, such as vehicles, weapons, shield options, and so much more. You can make hundreds, possibly thousands of different game modes. It is also compatible with LAN.

Graphics: 9.5/10
They have improved somewhat compared to Xbox, but not vastly. They kick ass and seem very realistic. I can't name any examples right now though.

One problem is that they may not be compressed, or ported well. To set everything at high means I have to set resolution at 640 x 480 to get a constant 30 FPS (same as Xbox). This is on a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, AMD XP 2500, and 512 DDRram. It may be patched but I wouldn't know.

Audio: 9.5/10
Everything sounds what it should be. It supports 5:1 surround sound, but headphones work for me. I like how realistic the Banshee sounds when flying through the air. If you are anywhere and you here that sound you know it's a Banshee. The A.I. say funny things which tie into the current situation, such as ''Not again!'' when you stick a grenade on a Grunt, or ''Come back to class so I can school you again'' when a marine kills an enemy.

There is hardly any music, and you are mostly hearing the sound of your foot steps and gun fire. But you can run Windows Media Player in the background set to your favorite tunes and you're set.

Controls: 9/10
Very good controls! With the mouse precision is much better. There aren't many controls, so learning them will be easy. If you played First Person Shooters you can just glance at the control list and know them within minutes. Vehicles aren't controlled directly, instead you aim in the direction and hit the gas. Your character will automatically steer in that direction. It takes a little getting used to, but when you first try it you have as much time as you want.

Lasting Appeal: 10/10
With Online mode, more maps, more vehicles and weapons, and more of a community you will become as addicted it as possibly Counter-Strike.

Stuff that didn't fit in other sections
The netcode is very good. I pay for Cable internet with 256k upload. I was able to host an 8 player battle with very little lag (depending on where you live). The game needs a way to kick people off servers, since I have run into a few Team Killers.

Okay, I hoped this review helped. This game is a definite buy if your computer can handle it and you got internet access (hopefully broadband).

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/29/03