Review by headbanger

"Fans of PC first-person shooters should get this game."

Introduction
Without a doubt, Halo is one of the most famous games available for the XBox. It is a first-person shooter, now available for the PC. But how is it? Is it any good? Is it worth the money? Read on to find out.

I run Halo on the lowest settings, mainly because my computer can't handle anything higher. However, even on low settings, the graphics seem just as good, if not better, then the XBox version. The player models are pretty sharp, along with the entire levels. The weapons look pretty realistic, and just as good as I was expecting them to look. Unfortunately, I do not know how good the graphics are on higher settings, but I would assume that they look quite good.

Sounds and Music: 9/10
The Halo soundtrack is, for lack of a better word, awesome. The music is perfect for the game and doesn't really get old at all. The sounds are decent and sound pretty clear and realistic. However, Cortana can get pretty annoying at times, but that's not too big of a problem. The music more then makes up for it, and this game has some of the best music of any game I have ever played. It's definitely good stuff, if you ask me.

Difficulty: 8/10
Halo has four difficulty settings. The easiest is perfect to get the hang of the game, and the hardest is definitely a challenge that only skilled players will be able to beat. The adaptable difficulty settings make Halo fun to play, so that there's almost always a challenge to the game, yet it doesn't have to be unbeatable.

Beyond any doubts, the gameplay is what made Halo such a popular first-person shooter in the first place. The gameplay is smooth, and all-around just plain flows. It is very simple and effective, but in a way that is still a lot of fun. A few of people complain about Halo having a poor gameplay, but that is because they are looking for something a little more complicated and, well, realistic. If you are very picky about games being modernly realistic, don't get Halo. Halo's gameplay is meant to be simple, and it succeeds at that. It is easy to pick up on and flows very well.

Controls: 9/10
The controls are fully customizable, and you can have up to two buttons controlling one function, which can be quite handy. If your current or default control style just isn't working for you, try new ones until you find something that does work. If there's anything that stops you from buying Halo, the controls should not be it.

Fun Level: 9/10
Halo is a ton of fun to play, especially for the first time. You will most likely become addicted to beating the game and play it non-stop for hours on end, as I did. The game becomes even more fun once you fully get the hang of it and start messing around in it. This is what gives Halo

Replay Value: 5/10
Halo is a fun game to play over and over again, but with limits. After a while the levels start to get rather boring and repetitive. That is the time when you should give Halo a rest for a couple months, play some other games, and come back to it. The game will be more fun to play over once again then, but not quite as fun as it used to be. Halo's one player lacks good replay value, unfortunately. However, there is an online multiplayer mode that you can play on that is fun as well.

OVERALL: 9/10
If you enjoyed the XBox version of the game, then you will like the PC version just as much. The game is pretty much the same, but instead of being played with a controller on a TV screen, you are playing with a mouse and a keyboard on a computer monitor. It's still fun as hell to play, like always. It is definitely worth the money to spend on it. All fans of first-person shooters must have Halo. It's that good, and I still enjoy playing it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/04