Review by ieatdirttoo

"Poor porting knock the rating down"

When saw Halo coming out for the PC back in 2000, it looked awesome. Later on I found out that it had been declared an exclusive to Microsoft's upcoming console the Xbox. I was mad that I would not be able to experience this awesome game since I did not have an Xbox. Finally 2 years later, Bungie and Gearbox Studio has released this revolutionary game on the PC. Finally I have experienced this game. This game is now one of my favorite games, even beating the legendary Final Fantasy 7. I give it a 8/10 because that is what this game deserves, and it will always be remembered as one of the greatest games of all time on XBOX!

The gameplay is that of your basic FPS, which is by all means great. You wield an assortment of Futuristic Human and Alien weapons, all with there own advantages. You can also drive a handful of vehicles. The Warthog is a 4x4 Human Transport Vehicle, Mounted with a Minigun or Rocket Launcher on the back. You can also drive a tank and several Alien Weapons too. The thing that makes Halos gameplay so addicting is the challenge. This game is not easy to beat on Heroic or Legendary. The setting is always changing as new vehicles and weapons and enemies are introduced. You also have shields that regenerate, so you can take damage without actually depleting your health.

Actually the graphics deserve a 8 out of 10, but performance problems bring the score down terribly. This is basically a port of two year old Xbox game. For todays standers it comes rather short. Sure the texture resolution is higher and you have the ability to increase the overall resolution, but when you can only get 25fps with 5950 Ultra there is something wrong. Overall Halo looks great for being a first gen Xbox title, but it fails as a PC game. The character models are blocky and have stiff animations. The enviornments are repetitive.

Most of the special effects are nice, and the Bump-Mapping makes things look pretty good. Halo falls under the catagory of "bad port". What I mean is that in order to get the game running smoothly your going to have to play it on lower settings then your used to. My card can run DOOM3 at 45fps on 1024x768 on high. It barely meets 25 with the same settings. You can use pixel shader 1.1 to improve performance, but it makes things look ultra shiny and non realistic. Overall, due to the bad porting job, this seriously degrades the rating.

Halos Sound is simply magnificent. It's some of the best music ever in a video game. The music swells up during key moments, while still keeping the pace in non eventful moments. The weapons and vehicles sounds all sound authentic and real. The voiceovers in this game are also great., sounding real and accurate for the part. Master Chief has a calm “it will be alright" voice. All the Alien voices are good too, especially the grunts. You are equipped with a transponder as well, so you can understand everything the other aliens say.

The story in this game is great. It's a classic Sci-Fi story involving a huge group of aliens called the covenant bent on destroying humankind in their intense religious devotion. The story is set in the Year 2552, when space travel is common and humans inhabited several different worlds and have far reaching colonies. The story starts of as you Master Chief, a Cyborg Soldier called a SPARTAN-II. Traveling on the Pillar of Autumn, a cruiser running from Covenant Forces. After a battle above a mysterious ring, you are forced to withdraw on the object, and thus the story begins...

Playtime: 10/10

This game is extremely addictive and will have you playing it a lot. The single player campaign is about 12 hour long on Normal, giving you plenty of time to perfect you skills. On Legendary it could take you months to beat. You will have to retry areas over and over again till you pass by sheer luck or a good strategy.

Final Verdict: Please buy the Xbox versionif you can. Its worth it for the stability.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/14/04, Updated 02/14/05