Review by dreen

"When gods walk amongst men.."

From the cover, the game looks interesting enough, it's a building Sim staged in ancient Greek, the era of Perseus, Hercules and Odysseus, where the god's home, Mount Olympus seems within the reach of men, I like.

The game's adventures, offers you an opportunity to build an empire so glorious the gods' themselves will be proud of. Like all games in its genre, the way to do it is to make good use of whatever resources you are given, and manage them well; what sets Zeus apart from the rest is the added element of the meddling gods, who seem to have nothing better to do than to keep pets and harass you.

All in all, it's a pretty fun game, with adequate amount of challenges thrown in (thanks to those spiteful gods), and different difficulty level to play in that you won't get bored of it easy. I've found it to be really entertaining

I had enjoyed watching the game, with its little people toiling away in their everyday chores, it's almost like watching an ant farm in action. And coupled with the voice dubbing, you can almost imagine being a part of the land (well, almost, depending on how imaginative you are, really). The game contains some of the funniest monologues I've seen in these games, a personal favorite of mine is when you hover over a theatre, and you hear ''My spear, where is my spear? How can I play a spear carrier without my spear'' (don't judge my sense of humor, you don't even know me!)

However, if you're more into militaristic strategy stuff, you will be mighty disappointed with this one. Although there are some military actions, there really is not much to do. The most militaristic concern I have had so far are pretty much just ''how many troops do I need to meet the goal?''. I think the main purpose the military option served is diplomatic, you send your troops to help when your allies are under attack, that is about all, you don't even need them to defend your city, since you can pay the invaders off with cash.

It is a good game to get, especially if you can find it with the Poseidon expansion (they named the bundle ''Acropolis''), and it only costs me $20. With or without the expansion, Zeus: Master of Olympus is a nice addition to your pile, but the expansion offers more features like additional gods and monsters, and an entire new series of adventures that centers on Atlantis, that makes it even more enjoyable.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/28/02, Updated 08/10/02