Review by Pure_Gamer

"A great console game makes for a good PC game"

Metal Gear Solid is without a doubt one of the greatest games the PSX. Console fans have been rejoicing this game for quite some time now. But as it is usually the case, console gamers and PC gamers don't have quite the same tastes. But before we go into the nitty-gritty details, I'll explain the basic concept of the game to those who haven't heard a thing about it.

You play a character named Solid Snake. Your job is to sneak into a military base on an Alaskan island and foil the schemes of a handful of terrorists who and their henchmen. There is of course more to it than that, but I don't want to risk coming close to ruining anything for anyone. The goal of the game isn't to go into the fray with guns ablazin', rather you are supposed to use stealth to sneak past enemies and accomplish your goals when no one is looking. It's a bit like Thief really, except Thief gives you a few more options on how to be stealthy and also Thief is done in first person. Metal Gear Solid is mostly done from an overhead view, but from time to time you go to a different camera angle. In fact, Metal Gear Solid, in my opinion, is a great example of how non-fps action games should have their cameras. I'm really tired of the annoying Tomb Raider camera that game developers feel should be in every single action game that...I'm sorry, I'm done ranting.

Anyway, while the premise of the game sounds great, the actual game falls short of expectations. While sneaking around is great fun, it is somewhat of a rarity. The first part of the game has lots of sneaking, but soon the game breaks into a pattern. a little sneaking, a boss fight (at which point the game stops being a sneaking game and becomes a standard action game) and then story. Lots and lots of story. While I do like a bit of story, this is entirely too much. I've heard about people who have skipped the story and the total amount of time they spent playing the game start to finish was around 2 hours. While overboard story seems to be exactly what console gamers enjoy, PC gamers will sit, bored and wanting to actually play the game they are watching.

And now, graphics and sound. Graphically, the game is a bit below par. The backgrounds look good enough, but the polygon models are terrible. There is one scene where the main character's arms aren't even attached to his body. Sound on the other hand is pretty good. The voice acting is impressive (which is good because with the amount of talking there is, bad voice acting would have been intolerable). And while the music doesn't stand out, it does create the mood of the game well.

So what is my verdict? I'd hold out until the game's price drops down to the 20 dollar area. This is what I call a game to buy when you want to buy a game but there isn't a game you want to buy.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/07/00, Updated 12/07/00