Review by Mystic Viper

"The snake strikes again"

So, it's 2004 and I've finally decided to install the metal gear I bought a couple of years back. Now, everyone has been telling me how great this game was back then, so I decided that now that I finished all my other games and that the new metal gear for the GCN would be coming out soon, that maybe, I should give this game a try. I've just recently played and finished it and here's basically what I think about it.

Game play 9.5/10

The game play in this game is great. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score in this department is because I am considering the fact that there adding new and better features to the new one on GCN, but this game itself is still great. The controls are tight (even though I played with a keyboard...), the A.I. is very intelligent (they notice all the slightest things like your foot print and the noise you make) and the numbers of ways you can kill your enemy or sneak by them is endless. The boss battles are even cooler and memorable.

Story 10/10

It's hard to actually explain how great the story is without going into spoilers but trust me on this one, it is great! I haven't seen a storyline as nice and complex as this one in a long time. The game even features multiple endings and multiple routes at certain times making it a blast to play it again on a harder difficulty

Music and Sounds 10/10

The music is fabulous. It really makes you feel like your part of the game. From sad music to the great boss battles themes, this game doesn't lack in music. As for sounds, they are pretty great. Of course this is a past generation game and the special effects might not be as great as today's standards but it's still great. Also, the voice acting is very very good compared to many a games that makes the cross from Japanese to English. To sum this matter up, the music is so good that I went and got the soundtrack!

Graphics and Visual Effects 8/10

I said it before, and I'll say it again. This is an older generation game and the graphics of back then might not meet today's standards but if you keep this in mind, then you'll see that this game had great visuals for its time and it still not to terrible to look at these days. On the plus side, they did make the game clearer and nicer. The lighting effects are pretty standard but other then that, it's ok.

Replay Value

The game itself is too short in my opinion but this gives you a reason more to play through it again since it has multiple endings. On top of that you can try yourself at a harder difficulty if you feel like it and then there's the V.R. bonus that comes with the game.

Final Verdict

Well, now that you read all that, I'm hoping you got a better view of this game. I wouldn't usually tell people to get a game right away without trying it, but this game is only 20$, so it's worth your money, believe me. If you can't find it, ask a friend who has it. All I know is that now I am impatiently awaiting the remake of it on the GCN

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/04