Review by ugen64

"An awesome RPG with few, if any flaws."

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction is a great RPG, with few flaws.

The gameplay is great, beginning with the start of the game. There are various NPCs (Non-Player Characters) who do everything from heal you to sell weapons to allow you to gamble. When you enter the world, there are scattered monsters randomly placed throughout the levels, and you gain experience, levels, and stats. Skills, like ''Charged Bolt (a lightning attack)'' are useful; however, you only have a limited number of points to place into the skills, so many people ''pump'' certain skill, creating things like ''WhirlwindBarb (A Barbarian who uses Whirlwind)'', and similar. The one flaw I found is, as in many RPGs, too much killing! Almost all good RPGs need lots of killing, but this RPG focuses little on a delving, non-linear story, rather, it focuses on battling. However, this is only a flaw to some people, including me, so I give it a 9/10.

The story is that Diablo, the Lord of Terror (I think), with his brothers, Baal (The Lord of Destruction) and Mephisto (The Lord of Darkness?) have terrorized the world, and you play a character out to stop him. As usual, the recurrence in many RPGs is the fact that there is little story; it's linear, consisting of 6 quests per act (worlds, really) except in Act 4, where there's only 3. There's 5 acts, creating a very long game, but not really non-linear story. I give it a 9/10.

The sound is also great, with music that is haunting in ghostly areas and has an Arabic aura in the desert area. However, the main reason I gave it a non-perfect score is because of the fact that most of the sound is generic battling sounds, like swords clashing and armor clinking. Otherwise, it's great sound!

Video (Graphics): 9/10

Now, this depends on the time period you are playing this game in. Now, with graphic-intensive games like Dungeon Siege and (especially) Elder Scrolls III (Both of which I own), the graphics of Diablo 2 pale in comparison. However, back in the time this game was created (around 1998-99), this game would have gotten like 20/10 graphics scores. However, we live in the present (which is Oct. 2002 for me), and the graphics are, no offense, not exactly perfect. The graphics are relatively low-detailed. However, there are many interesting and cool features, like the changing of a color of a weapon when you give it a color by gemming it (placing gems in sockets), magical auras, etc. I give it a 9/10.

Replayability: 9/10

This is a pretty opinionated statement. I have beaten the game on all 3 difficulties numerous times, and the main game has gotten boring. However, with the many mods you can find (besides the hack-like item drop mods), like Baldur's Gate and Sir_General's Rune Mod, I have rekindled interest in this game. If you are mod=savvy and willing to attempt to install these mods (if you make a mistake and forget to backup your files, prepare for a reinstall), you would have literally unlimited replay value. However, if you are cautious and unwilling to install mods (not that that's bad or anything), it would have a limited replay value (I mean, after killing bosses 500 times to get more items, it's kinda boring). I gave it a 9/10 to balance these two possibilities.

Buy or Rent: Well, I would advise rent then buy, but you can't exactly rent computer games suitably right now, so I would revise that statement to say ''See if you can get a friend to let you borrow the game, then buy'' as the best advice. I would get the Diablo 2 Battle Chest, which is about 49.99, a great deal for 3 games (Diablo, Diablo 2, and Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction). If so, play Diablo first, as it's simpler, then play Diablo 2.

IMO, worth about... uh... $50.
Borrow, then Buy, or just Buy