Review by Tyrael Odium

"One Of The Best"

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
By Tyrael Odium

For use only on the GameFaqs web page

Christmas morning, I wake up EXTREAMLY early, and look at the pile of stuff just waiting for me. The first thing that I open was the Diablo Battle Chest. After breakfast I install the entire package, having played the original I had some expectations for this game, not only were they met but the game had dozens of other little surprises for me.

Storyline 10/10 (Including Diablo 2 without expansion) - The game has you start off by selecting one of 7 Character classes, all of which have their own distinct abilities, and attributes. The game itself gives you a little (and i mean a little) history of the first (to get the rest you should read all of the instruction manual). Then the game puts you in a rogue camp just after "A Dark Wanderer" passed through. As you progress through the game you encounter familiar faces from the original (good and not so good) and you get to meet people that were only talked about in the first game (such as Tyrael). Diablo 2 ends in act 4 which takes place in.... you will just have to find out for yourself. The expansion added a entire new act and a wicked boss and a bizarre ending for some.

Gameplay 8/10 - The gameplay is almost exactly like the original Diablo but blizzard always adds in a few new features. This game allows you to run (unlike Diablo 1) which can make it easier to get from place to place. The environments are much larger, there are fewer loading times, and the online play is extremely good. The expansion adds thousands of items onto regular Diablo 2, which will fuel the obsession of becoming the best on the game (which is nearly impossible now). The level up system is much better than the first one where you had to go and hunt down magic spells, each character gets their own bad ass spells, and you don't have to hunt them down, you have to level up and meet the requirements of the spell. Leveling up is easier online, and you can get rushed which takes away the experience of the game but what are you going to do about that. You could try to play legit which can be a real challenge. Instead of in the original Diablo where you only get 3 different looks Diablo 2+exp has a different look for nearly every armor and weapon, and if you socket an item, it will also make the armor look slightly different.

Graphics/Sound 10/10 - The graphics on the original Diablo were quite amazing considering when it was released, and blizzard was still able to improve on an already good thing. The Characters are extremely detailed, and the animations on the spells and movements are superb. The sounds on the game are incredible, epically the dark rogues being killed (they have the best scream). Mephisto and Baal have incredible voice overs, and they really sound evil. The movie clips look ASTOUNDING, the only game in my experience that has ever had better movie clips is final fantasy 10 (natch). All of the monsters look very good and they also look like it is their only purpose in life to kill you, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal look the best in the game (Tyrael also looks very good), so prepare to drool over this game for a wile (if you haven't already).

My Final Thought - Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction, is in my opinion one of the best games on the planet, and electric playground will agree with me (visit their web site for more details). If you haven't already played this game you had better quick because you are passing up the gaming experience of a life time. And some more information for those of you who didn't know about this Diablo 2 holds the record for "fastest-selling pc game" (Guinness World Records 2003 page 176) and blizzard holds the record for the "Largest free online gaming network”(battle.net)" (Guinness World Records 2002 page 175) which has over 8.2 million active accounts and over 210,000 players online at any given time (that is for all of their games not just Diablo 2). So in conclusion this game is a must have. 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/05