Review by ratboy72

"A new game for the Fallout Wastes, but not like the first 2."

I really enjoyed the first 2 Fallout games. The open ended RPG style was great fun for me. The Fallout Wastelands were great to explore, find towns and do quests however you saw fit. Good or evil, your karma path was up to you.
Fallout Tactics, is not as free. It is an enjoyable game, but not for the same reasons as the first 2.

The graphics are good. The characters look like they should. The towns and encounters are well done, not the best, but more than adequate.

The sounds are well done, with most conversations having speech and text. The voice acting is done well. The sound effects are good. Nothing special, but more than enough to help the game's atmosphere.

The storyline is average. Some more info about the Brotherhood of Steel is revealed. Pretty much each mission is explained well enough to complete the stage and go on to the next mission. Unfortunately, this is really all there is to the story. Unlike Fallout and Fallout 2 where you can pick and choose which quests you want and for the most part the order in which you do them, the story line here is very rigid. You finish one quest, another opens up for you. Also, some missions are hard to complete and keep a good standing, so you may be redoing some quests hoping to get better standing for mission results.
One thing I loved about Fallout and Fallout 2 was the greater chance to be good or evil. Especially in Fallout 2, you could make your character very evil indeed. This is not the case here. Yes you can do some evil choices, kill the innocent etc, but nothing like Fallout 2.

Controls are fine and simple, easy to move your squad. It is sometimes tedious to move each team member around, but over all it's well done and easy to control each squad unit quickly.

The replay value is not as high as it was for the other Fallout games. After I completed the game, I had little desire to start over and play again. With Fallout 2, I wanted to play again, and still do to this day.

Overall this is a good game. I compare it to Fallout 1 and 2, but it is a separate game. The only thing similar is the Wasteland universe, and character development. Actual gameplay is different. A good game for Fallout junkies, but I feel anyone not familiar with the Fallout Wastelands, may not enjoy the game as much.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/12/04