Review by Grant Evans

"The Arcade classic didn't do so well..."

Hi, this is my first review! I am reviewing Dragon's Lair 3D for the PC. If you are unfamiliar with the game Dragon's Lair, then I'll tell you a little about it. The game was made in 1983, and was the first successful laser-disk game (The first game was the unsuccessful Astron Belt). The game cost 50 cents a play, and it cost about $4,500 for a new one. The buttons consisted of a one and two player, a four direction joystick (Up, Down, Left, and Right), and two sword buttons (One on the left and one on the right, this made it easier for lefties). If you are an Arcade fan like me, you may be a little disappointed when you read this review and/or play the game. Read on to see why it didn't do so well.

Gameplay 5/10:

The Gameplay is pretty lame. The game isn't very fun, the controls stink, and the camera “reeks” of “awfulness”.

Difficulty: 7/10

The game is pretty hard, but definitely not the hardest game in the world. With the crappy camera, it adds more difficulty to the game.

You control the character Dirk the Daring trying to save the princess Daphne from the dragon Singe. That's pretty much it.

This is probably the worst part of the game. The backgrounds are ok, but the cell sprites are pretty lame. (Backgrounds: 6/10. Characters: 1/10. Average 3/10).

The sound is probably the best part of the game. From Dirks shrieks to Daphne's voice, it makes everything sound (Sort of) almost real!

Replayability/Amount of Gameplay: 2/10

I beat the game in about 4 hours. Not that good, right? Compared to a game like Animal Crossing and the Sims, which have an infinite amount Gameplay, that's pretty bad. Plus, you probably wouldn't want to play it again.

Originality: 5/10

It's based off the arcade version, but with a lot of changes. The major changes are, all the characters are cell designed, the game has a brief history of the Arcade game and the game is longer than the original.

Buy, Rent, or play burn: Burn

Burn, I'd suggest burning it, buy only if you're a loyal arcade fan. You can't rent it, and it's a bad deal to buy it.

Overall Score: 5/10

I think that this game needs a lot of changes in about every department, except sound.

Final Words:

I got this game for $10.00. It was an ok deal, but not that good.

Breakdown: