Review by sylvester

"An underrated mafia masterpiece"

It seems that action packed car games filled with violence is what we get 2002, and after last years success, the magnificent Gta3, there’s really nothing strange with that.

In Mafia we are given the role of Tommy Angelo, a cab driver who gets involved with the Mafia. With a game that sets in the early 30’s letting you play the role as a true gangster, what can be more important than a great atmosphere? Ok, maybe gameplay. Anyhow the atmosphere in Mafia is really perfect, the music suits the game very well and the whole town looks adorable.

Story 10/10: The first thing that came to my mind when I first played this game was the Godfather movies, and that’s probably the best way to describe this game. The atmosphere is truly perfect, the characters are great and you will actually feel the life of 1930.
Graphics 8/10: Believe me, I wanted to give this game a higher score at this because it looks really amazing, but then Mafia also has some graphical problems. All of a sudden the game sometimes gets quite choppy and I know that it’s not because of my computer. Also, one of the greatest things in the game also turns out to be a minor set back; the characters faces really look good and realistic almost. And when they do, it’s important that they really do, but in close up after close up it gets really annoying that everything in the faces look so perfect except for the eyes, I was wondering if everyone in this game was supposed to have eyes made of porcelain, but I’m afraid that’s not the case.

Sound 9/10: The sound in this game is real good. I have no complaints at all for the quality of the sound effects or how they sound. The music is also suiting, even if it gets a little noisy sometimes. I guess you can turn it down though.

Gameplay 9/10: You will do a LOT of driving in this game, and as Mafia sets in the 1930’s the cars are not really what we’re used to. I’ve heard people complaining about there’s to much driving around, I don’t see it that way. The driving adds atmosphere as you cruise around the town and get to your wanted location. Gun fighting is also quite smooth in this game, and of course there are Tommy guns…

Replay Value 7/10: There are some interesting missions, and the amazing story will be enough to play through this game a least twice, but once you’ve finished it, there’s really not that much to do. The free ride extreme option let’s you earn a new cars and that’s a generous bonus.

Overall 9/10: A few set backs but far from enough to ruin this great game filled with that “Mafia” feeling it depends on.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/02, Updated 11/13/02