Review by Charagon

"I'm addicted! GIVE ME CS NOW!"

I got this game because so many of the users on CE had it. I tried it, and to start, I wasn't very good, well, whatever. I still liked it, and I kept getting better. That was about 2 months ago. Now I can hold my own in most places.

-The gameplay is great. You are either a terrorist or counter-terrorist, and each side has 1 of 5 missions, based on the map. Each map has at least 1 objective, and on those with multiple objectives, only 1 must be filled. On DE_ maps, the terrorists must either plant the bomb and blow up the target, or kill everyone on the other team. On CS_ maps, the counter-terrorists must either rescue all the hostages or kill all the terrorists. On AS_ maps, the terrorists must kill the VIP. On ES_ maps, the counter-terrorists must kill all the terrorists before they escape. The only reason this category does not receive a 10 is because some maps are horribly unfair. Usually, the CS_ and AS_ maps are unfair to counter-terrorists, and the DE_ and ES_ maps are unfair to terrorists.

-The graphics are excellent. The player and weapons look great, and if you don't think so, you can just change the skins. Everything is seamless. Also, the resolution can be changed, so you can go from a horrible mess of about 12,000 pixels to a realistic-looking scene with no less than 2,000,000. Once again, everything is seamless.

-The actual sounds are great. You hear the men stomping on metal, grass, stone, or snow, and the footsteps match what you'd expect. The voices are very good, and very clear. Also the sounds of the weapons are what you'd expect, from the quiet TMP to the atrociously loud AWP to the exploding HE grenade. The only downside is that there is no background music. Oh well, if you have an audio CD in the CD drive, it will play the first track of that. Or, if you have a lot of RAM on your computer, you could have winamp playing in the background. Either way, it's ok that there is no music, since you need to hear the footsteps and gunshots around you.

Controls: 9/10
-The controls are so good because you set them yourself. The only problem is that there are too many. Blargh.

Difficulty: 10/10
-This is an online-only game, so the difficulty always changes from game to game. You could go to an elite server or a newbie server. Then there are servers with restrictions such as no AWP, or low gravity. Just find the server that works for you. There are websites on which you can search for servers, then you can copy & paste the IP and join.

Replayability: 10/10
-It's an online game with 2 teams and literally thousands of maps. There are also thousands of players, so you'll probably never have the same game twice.

Buy/Rent: BUY
-Well, if you like first-person-shooters, this is definitely the game for you. If you don't try it anyway. You can get a set of all 5 Half-Life games & mods for $30. Or you could just buy Half-Life and download the mod. It's your choice.

-This is by far one of the greatest games I have ever played. No other game lets you blow the brains out of terrorists like this. After the events of last year, I'm sure most people would want to steer clear of this, but don't. It's a great game, and nothing will remind us of ''that day.'' Plus, we'd need someone to play as a terrorist. Nobody uses auto-select, they always choose counter-terrorist. Even if it's 1 vs. 4 already, they go to the winning team. Bleargh.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/22/02, Updated 09/22/02