Review by BrakZero

"By far the best RTS game out there!"

First off, let me tell you a story. A while ago, I had no interest in any type of strategy games. I was mostly a role-playing game freak (I still am). But then, I got a new computer, which happened to include a game called Total Annihilation. For months and months, I never touched it. But one day, I decided to try it out, and I thought it rocked. And I still think the same…

The graphics are amazing! Cavedog (creators) actually says the graphics are what sets this game apart from all other RTS games. I don’t think that’s true, but I still think the graphics are awesome. All the units, maps, wreckage, and everything else look very realistic. The explosions are breathtaking, and if a tank of yours drives up a hill, you see a flawless tilt in the tank. Everything you’d want, and more.

The music was also great! You can actually take the CD itself and put it in a stereo and listen to the music. Nice, mysterious themes when building, and about 9 different battle themes, depending on where it takes place, which units are fighting, how intense the battle is, etc. Awesome music, overall.

The sound was as good as the music. Tank and Kbot sounds sound good, explosions sound extremely realistic and everything more. The sound of the flying plane overhead is enough to catch your attention.

The gameplay is awesome. You’ve got a TON of units to choose from, which range from tanks to planes, laser towers to radar towers, and everything else. And if that’s not enough, there are plenty of other sites on the Internet where you can download even more fan-made units. Also there are plenty of maps to choose from, and each has its own unique setting which determines what type of battle it’s going to be. And with an expansion pack, you can get about 50 more maps! By that time, you’d be amazed at how much there is to choose from. Of course, the game is very fun and addicting, as I find myself glued to my computer trying to protect my base from bomber planes.

The difficulty ranged from extremely easy to very hard. There are codes that make the game quite simple, or you can simply put the game on easy and give yourself tons of energy and metal. However, if you put it on a hard difficulty, the game is very hard, and you’ll find yourself shooting off fighter planes left and right. It all depends on how good you are. You can start at an easy difficulty, and work your way up.

This game actually has a pretty good story, and it actually develops throughout the campaign mode. That’s pretty rare in a game, unless that game is an RPG. It’s about two groups called the Arm and the Core. Core had developed a technology that turns humans into machines. Well, it seems some people aren’t too happy with that, and started a rebel force called the Arm. They battle it out over 4000 years on different planets. The story yet continues even more through the expansion pack. It’s a great story, overall.

This game rules. It’s by far the best RTS game, with great gameplay, story, music, sound, graphics, and everything else about Total Annihilation rules. It’s dated, but still the best of the best in strategy games. I highly suggest you try this one out, as you can easily buy it on the Internet for ten bucks. Just get it. You won’t be disappointed. And that’s a BrakZero promise!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/01, Updated 02/22/01