Review by NVedberg

"Beat your opponent in this, first ever? 3D/over-head strategy game"

THE STORYLINE:

The story of the game is set in the future. You will command a team of your chocie The Arm or The Core. These two parties have struggled many years in the control of the universe's last metal. And their struggle has destroyed many planets. And now the final battle of dominance of the last metal is about to begin.

GAMEPLAY:

Ok. You've seen these kind of games before, what is so spectacular about this game, you ask? It's just another "control a party, and beat the very heck of your opponent until you win..". First of all, this game is a first of its kind: All the terrains are in 3D, which means you can see your vehicles in different over-head angles, when you control them up on a hill for example. And another welcome surprise is that no less than 150 units (both Arm and Core included) can be built. The Arm is some kind of "Nice-guyes" and The Core the "bad-guyes" kind of way. Both parties have weeknesses on their units, you just have to figure them out.. So one unit especially (whether Arm's or Core's) is used to take out the opposite's especially unit, that is what has to be figured out.

BUT HOW FUN IS THE GAME?:

The game is really fun, because of the huge ammount of different units to choose from. This game will last very long.

THE DIFFICULTY OF THE GAME?:

As always in strategy games, the difficulty ranges from very easy to unbelievable hard.. At the beginning of the game it is very, I mean very easy, to clear off the first levels, but then it gets harder and harder.. This is when you have to figure out your opponents weeknesses in their units, to be able to win! But this is what makes these strategy games so great.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CONTROL?:

At first the controls can be a little confuzing! It's supposed to be this way. Every strategy game has to be unique, to be able to compete with others already released. Just read the instructions booklet, which comes with the game, carefully. The booklet describes very useful short-cut keyboard commands, which will make the game much easier to master, and finish. IF YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES TO MASTER IT!:-) Because it's a really hard game.

THE AUDIO AND VIDEO?:

The graphics is very nice, because of the 3D-overhead-maps. And the Audio? The audio is also very good. The music in the game is somewhat between orquestral, and "action movies" kinda like music..

REPLAYABILITY OF THE GAME?:

Becuase of the very hard replayability of the game, it might or might not be worth to be played over again after you've finished it. As for me, I've finished the game and it took quite a while, and it took a while before I wanted to play the game again. But then again, I found some really great cheats for that game, which made it worth to played over again. Becuase when usage of the cheats, the game suddenly becomes much, much more easier. But I don't think it's worth using these cheats before you've actually beaten the game. Otherwise it would'nt be any sport playing the game, now would it?

TO BUY OR RENT, (OR NOT TO) THAT'S THE QUESTION:

Yes! This game is really a must-buy. Don't be discuragued by the difficulty of the game.. The game is not supposed to be finished in one weekend. This is what makes this game so great, and worth the money it costs.

A short roundup of it all: I must give this game a score of 6 out of 10. The difficulty drags the score down a little bit. But the great graphics and audio makes the game to get the score. CAVE DOG, who made the game really succeded. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.

I hope my review made it more easy for those who thought whether they should bye this game or not.

Review by Niklas Vedberg (aka Saaken) I can be reached at: nvedberg@hotmail.com

PS. please don't e-mail me questions about the game, how to this or that, nor will I answer any questions regarding cheats for the game.

Cheats for Total Annihilation can easily be obtained (on this site for example) by simply search for them via an search engine of you choice.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99