Review by RUnnor

"It's old, but it's still the best RTS game I've ever played!!!"

A couple of years ago, a neat little game was released by a little known company, and took the gaming world by storm. Total Annihilation introduced RTS to the realm of three dimensions, and ever since, I've never looked at a RTS game in the same way again.

Let's look at each element of the game individually.

Graphics - 8/10
A little dated by today's standards, but it's still excellent. It beats out it's successor game, TA Kingdoms, due to the fact that the graphics don't slow down at all, even if you have WAY over the minimum system requirements... (grumble grumble) I look at TA today and still think that it has the smoothest animation available in an RTS game... well, with maybe the exception of "CC Tiberian Sun". ^_^

Sound - 9/10
You gotta love the sound effects and music of this game. The sound effects are excellent, from the way your construction bots start extracting to the sounds of your opponent getting beat into a pulp. The well orchestrated music adds an epic touch to your games, giving TA a dramatic feel.

Control - 9/10
Mouse and keyboard... what else do you need? With the option of holding up to 255 units in one CTRL group (well, more if you have the file that allows you 500 max units) instead of a measly 12 found in another popular sci-fi RTS (*cough*STARCRAFT*cough*), you can control all of your units quickly and effectively.

Story - 5/10
This is the only section TA lacks in, in my opinion... I mean, a war that has decimated a million worlds? OK, there's something original... :P

Replayability - 10/10
YES. If you and your opponent are of roughly equal playing level, you are guaranteed literally HOURS of multiplayer madness (around 2-8 hours @_@). With the addition of Boneyards (Cavedog's "Battle.net"), you actually get to take the role of one of the sides in their galactic battle for supremacy. I haven't been able to put this game down for years, why should you? The free downloadable units on the Cavedog site are also a major plus, adding new strategies to your arsenal.

Gameplay - 10/10
This game rocks. I have yet to see a RTS game that's as fun as this one is. With the option of controlling 500 units and with over 150 units available to play (that is, with the addition of the Core Contingency expansion pack), you can really play around with different strategies, as there is no limit to what you can do with the endless combinations of units. Plus, there are no "end all" units in the game that unbalances it, unlike another well known sci-fi strategy game... (*cough*STARCRAFT*cough*CAPITALSHIPS*cough*) Yes, even the almighty Krogoth falls to a good EMP missile and a D-Gun...

Overall - 10/10
This game is an absolute must have. Buy it today. Last time I checked, it was only $20 for the TA Commander Pack, which includes TA, all of its expansions, and a strategy guide. Now there should be no reason NOT to get it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99