Review by FunInABox

"Still do this day I enjoy it alot."

Hands down, this is one of my favorite games of all time, and I have been gaming for a long time. If you're looking for a good RTS, or a good game in general, I highly recommend this game. Even to this day, Total Annihilation sticks out as one of the best RTS's of all time.

Gameplay 10/10
From the minute I stepped into the world of Total Annihilation, I was amazed at it. It features wonderful AI that doesn't ever skip a beat, and it has many useful things an RTS needs to be good. It has many features like, Skirmish, Campaign, and Multiplayer, although Skirmish and Multiplayer are probably the better of the 3. There aren't too many units to each side, but each unit provides it's own speed, power, defense, and more. You have to actually think about the production of the units. You can't just run into the enemy base with a 50 close-combat units; you will be destroyed. You have to have a good amount of long range attackers, close-up combats, powerful but slow units, and air support to be capable of winning. This game puts the "strategy" in RTS.

Graphics 8/10
If this was 5-6 years ago, the graphics would be wonderful. The 3-D rendering is nice, and each unit is distinct. The many maps don't really repeat the same use of graphics over and over, and that is a good thing to not have. Since this game has aged a bit, this game doesn't take an "uber 1337" computer to run. Even if I crank all the settings to max and the resolution to highest I still get over 80 FPS when playing this game.

Sound 10/10
The music is a sight to hear. The live orchestra music is astounding. So good, in fact, that many people, and I mean many people, have bought the soundtrack. It is probably one of the best sound tracks in a game I have ever heard. On the other hand, the sound effects are pretty good. Most units have a distinct sound to them, and it each one fits nicely.

Replayability 10/10
Even after over 5 years of playing, the Total Annihilation community is still thriving. If you buy this game, you won't stop playing. Even I after 6 years of playing still play it to this day. You can continue to download newer patches which add more units, maps, and more. Also there are many mods for this game. Some which put the game into 100% 3-D, others that make into to Star Wars, and more. And there are over 100+ downloadable units created by the Total Annihilation community to make this game even better. You will not find yourself ever stopping to do something else instead of playing this game. It's that good.

Conclusion 10/10
If you have one game to get this month, or are a big fan of RTS games, this game is definitely for you. I recommend this game highly. You can even continue the experience by downloading newer patches and mods, if you want. And if you do find yourself loving this game, make sure you check out Supreme Commander, the newest RTS game by te creator of Total Annihilation. Have fun playing!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/05/05