Review by R.Collins

"Simply put, THE BEST SHOOTER EVER MADE FOR YEARS TO COME!"

This game is simply the best shooter ever made, and maybe even the best game ever made, and is STILL impressive MANY (4) years after it's released! I can't say that about many games except for maybe GoldenEye 007 and Final Fantasy series. Man, it amazes me that 4 years ago, they had technology to do some finer details that not even todays games use. From mouths moving when people talk to the advanced AI that this game hosts, it is still worth buying up to this day. Now, time to get into some of my finer details on each and every subject.

Absolutely astounding. I'm talking about a game that's 4 years old people, and it still has some of the best graphics ever. I just recently saw the PS2 screenshots of the game, and even now on that superior system, the graphics aren't a heck of an improvement. Sure, some of the legs on the headcrabs move more fluidly (especially on scientists.) but, really, that is nothing considering how long the game has been out. These graphics surpass every other video-game's graphics in every way, and keep in mind that my video card is not all that good, and I'm not seeing even these to their full potential.

Granted story isn't the main thing in any shooter, I believe this one in particular was done very good. Not the main story in general is what gets me, but the finer details, like what the Government would really do in that situation, which I think was reletively accurate. I think the story of a newly hired employee to a secretive company was a good idea. It has some rather good storytelling for a shooter, which isn't an extremely easy feat for shooters.

Almost perfect controls: Mouse to aim, keyboard to move. It feels very natural, until you do little complex things. I find myself frequently avoiding to strafe because the controls just feel weird for me. Some more advanced moves, like crouch jumps while moving, will likely require you to let go of the mouse and use both hands, which can be deadly, namely if after a jump there is an enemy there: You simply aren't ready. Other than that, you can customize some of them controls, and the control scheme is almost perfect anyways.

Audio: 9/10

Unlike most of the mediocre voice acting in todays games, this 4 year old 'grandpa' of games takes the crown in this catagory. It is the best voice acting in any game I have ever heard. From the explosions to the army over the radio, these sounds are absolutely stellar and clear. I never get tired of hearing those Barney's say:
''Roger that, let's run like hell!''

The only thing I didn't like about the sound was using a microphone over the internet. It's not worth the trouble to try to pick out what your friends are saying. Just type it or use Roger Wilco people!

Replay Value: 10/10

Worldcraft, net games, and an endless number of mods will keep you playing into long hours of the night. I never get tired of sniping people in Team Fortress Classic on the internet.

This game isn't perfect, no game is. But, God, if there is a 'Closest to Perfect Game' award, this one would be in the top 3. Like I said, this game isn't perfect, but neither is my score of 10/10. :)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/04/01, Updated 10/04/01