Review by OrdinaryTurtle

"Stop attacking! He's a friend!"

When I first played this game at my friend's house. I was in awe, that this game was a FPS(first person shooter). In all my years of being a video gamer, not once have I seen a FPS, NPC's actually interact with each other and give replies, nor have I seen one with such a confusing story such as this one. A story like this was last seen like this to me in Chrono Cross, just as confusing

To begin with, Half Life takes you on the role of Gordon Freeman, a highly respected scientist but with a crap job at a secret government base called Black Mesa deep underground in Nex Mexico. An experiment goes terribly wrong and you seem to be the only one alive in your lab department so you must get out of the base to the surface and find help. But on your way there you find aliens have inhabited the base and the government has sent soliders to kill you and everyone else who's alive.

Graphics 10/10
For a game made in 1998 the graphics were very well done. The lips move when scientists or when Barneys talk. The weapons graphics were very well done. With the updated graphics from Blueshift the NPC's were looking like real people you'd find at a science convention (or a nerd convention well same thing..)

Music 0/10
The music in this game is the most horrible thing in the game. I always played without the music but once I turned it on to listen to it I wanted to throw up. An intense game like Half Life shouldn't have techno music playing. It should be silent.....very silent not knowing what's gonna be behind the corner. I was disgusted by the music and never turned it on again.

Sound 10/10
The sound was great in this game. The footsteps sounded real. Listening to the aliens talk was creepy almost getting the feeling that they're behind you when you have surround sound on. The commandos talk was scary too but then again too funny. The scientists were very well voiced, sounding like actually nerds and geeks. The sounds of the guns were done well. The crowbar was also done very well.

Gameplay 15/10
My god the gameplay in this game was good. The crowbar had to have been the best weapon in the whole game. The gameplay wasn't too difficult to learn but very easy after getting used to it. Jumping was annoying and a bit intense at times (especially on Xen) but getting used to it, it was easy.

Story 10/10
For a FPS to have a good story is rare. Once the place becomes infested with aliens you have to escape and you slowly learn what is happened as you progress. Then goverment soliders come and are sent to kill everyone especially Gordon Freeman. You won't learn the whole story in just playing Half Life, you also have to play Opposing forces and Blue Shift. At the end of Half life you just can't ait for the sequel (if there ever is one)

Challenge 10/10
This is one of the hardest games i've ever played. What makes this game hard is you have to conserve your ammo. You have no matter what if you don't you are definately screwed. In a lot of the first half before you're captured you need to use your crowbar. The enemy's AI is the best i've seen. The Commando's actually have planned attacks for you and the aliens seem even smarter. Once you've mastered the game you know their tactics but if you're new to it, be prepared for the worst. What also makes this game difficult is jumping. Jumping can be a pain but not too hard.

Replay 10/10
What makes this game so great are the scientists. Without them this game wouldn't have been so funny as it was. The best thing about it is having the cheat codes on during the first stage with all the scientists around and killing them with whatever arsenal you have. Or playing Cat and Mouse with the scientists. Another great but very scary thing is having the most powerful character in the whoel game chase after you...you guessed it...Barney! Having Barney chase after you is the scariest thing I've encountered. It seems he can teleport. He's like a ringwraith, he'll never stop hunting you. Playing it more than once also helps understand some things you may of missed. Like in an RPG explore every single area!

Overall 10/10
This game is one of the most funniest games to be played. I recommend anyone who likes FPS games to try this. If you want challenge get this for sure.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/01/03, Updated 03/01/03