Review by Tenshi No Shi

"There's a new king on the FPS throne!"

Lately, its been harder and harder for FPS (first person shooters) to break into the market because there are so damn many of them. Only a few stand out, rather by media hype or a solid name base (ie : Unreal and Quake). So, needless to say, I had my doubts about Half-Life.

The story in this one is a little more unique than your average FPS (which lately has consisted of crashing on an alien world and fighting your way to freedom). In Half-Life, you are a scientist working on some trans-dimensional experiment (um...reminds me of Doom) that goes wrong. Portals to other worlds are opened, sending various monsters to our world. You have to fight your way to the surface, avoiding both the government goons and various monsters. In fact, this game story unfolds so well, I ended up playing the last twelve hours of the game without a break because I was so enthralled.

All things considered, the graphics are pretty damn impressive. Bright, vibrant colors are used (as opposed to the browns and grays of late) as well as some great, and realistic, animation. And you get this even without a 3D card, imagine what the game looks like with one...*drool*

The sound is very spooky and eerie, giving you the feeling that you're being watched everywhere you go. The music is more of a cinematic quality, only playing when its needed to set a more dramatic mood.

The controls are also good, but if you like to use both a mouse and a control pad, better download the patch, as you will have some problems with walking and looking.

Half-Life is a very well designed game, form the levels to the aliens, there is a fair amount of uniqueness. In fact, I think the reason I like this game so much is the fact that the level design reminds me a lot of Goldeneye 007 for the N64. Everything is well laid out and well thought out.

This game has some features that I feel are worth noting. For one thing, skins are very easy to make (I've already made a kick-ass Crow skin). Valve also gave us the ability to spray paint a logo onto the wall to mark your players passing. This feature can also be customized.

Half-Life is a game that any fan of FPS should own. Its a great game and one of my favorites on the PC. Check it out, it might surprise you.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/05/02