Review by K0LDSTeeL

"A very cool Q2 clone, one of my favs"

This is PCs finest first person shooter. It came out at the end 98, but I got it on January 3. Since that date, I still have as one of my favs. When I first saw it, I knew that it was going to rule over other first person shooters, but then I saw the company, which was Sierra, but then I thought that they would pull out and make a really good game.

Graphics 8/10
Well, ok, this is not my favorite highlight in the game. They used a heavily modified Quake 1 and Quake 2 engine (I do MEAN heavily). When they did that, they changed the format from 8/16 bit to 16/24 bit. If you do not know already, 16 bit is software (at the time I had a Nvidia TNT), and 24 bit was the 3D accelarated mode. I liked it that they include a 16 bit engine for software, which meant you would not miss out on the nice eye candy. The monster were nicely animated with the new implemented skeletal system. That feature made them seem eerily alive and creepy.

Sound / Music 9/10
Very well done sound in Half-Life. Mostly everything is told to you, such as when a scientist (or any NPC would interact with you), he would say that there is something bad around the corner or swimming in the water.

Control 8/10
As with all PC games, for some it is hard, and for people like me, i am a keyboarder:) I liked that control was responsive and Gordon did not try to get out of control.

Gameplay 9/10
A very cool game that emerged as thought to be poor game (because of Sierrra's flaws in the past). But every body was wrong, I did not think it was going to be poor. I am a proud fragger today.

Half-life is a game you should buy and enjoy it. It might not have the graphics of Unreal (which makes your eyes very happy), but it was still the coolest game I played.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/07/00, Updated 03/07/00