Review by Hurricane Jesus

"I don't see what all of the hype is about..."

Well i recently got to play Medal of honor: Allied Assault and i must say that i am very disappointed. I loved the first two games for the playstation, but this one just doesn't cut it. It is really a surprise that a game with this much hype and potential could fail where it should have succeeded. Well enough of that, on to the review!

Story- 2/10
Ok, so it's a war game. You would think that they would have gotten the story from a textbook or based the game on actual events, but sad to say, they didn't. The game seems to be based around WWII in germany, but in the third mission, you are flown to an unknown area that is not even told to the player. There are a few cut scenes that tell the story, but a great deal seems to have been lost in the translation.

Gameplay- 3/10
Whether or not a game is good is heavily based on gameplay, and this is no different. It seems like i was having flashbacks to the first medal of honor. This would be a good thing, if only that game wasn't a few years old and mediocre by todays standards. Many of the missions are boring and repetitive, and lack the emotional draw that should have been easy to pull off in a war game. The player is fairly easy to use except for a few minor issues with the controls which i will discuss later.

Controls- 8/10
I really liked how this game controls. It just seems like a real shame that this is the part that they pulled off the best. What good are well thought out controls that are responsive, if you don't want to play the game? I know that controls are not based on how good the story is, therefor i gave them a high score. I wish more games controlled this well.

Graphics- 8/10
This is another area where the game really shines. The game is simply a pleasure to look at. If this had been the first game in the series, it would have much more of an impact. The game stays true to the first two games of the series, and adds lighting and particle effects where necessary. If you have a fast computer with a good graphics card, so will have no problems with this game. The only complaint that i have is that some of the characters look generic and lack life. Also some enemy movements are jerky.

Sound- 7/10
The sound in this game is pretty good. I have a surround system and i must say that the game sounds clear and the sound is never distorted. The voice acting is pretty good, but something definitely got lost in the translation. What good is quality voice acting if it doesn't make any sense?
More money should have been put into the meat of the game, and not the voice actors. Although most of the sound effects are stellar, i thought the tank sounded more like my electric can opener. Overall the sound is good.

Overall- 3/10
All right, now i will explain my overall score. I like this game, but i can't see playing it ever again. After beating the first two medal of honor games, i was really looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, i was let down with more of the same stuff i had already played. The story in this game really makes it hard to get into it. I got lost by the third mission, and that's weird because i usually love war stories. I only beat this game so i could write an honest review. I didn't have any inspiration to finish it, but i thought it would be a waste of my $65.00(Canadian) not to. I would only recommend this game to people who have not played the first two, and absolutely must have a first person shooter based loosely on WWII. There are much better first person shooters out there, and i personally think that Return to Castle Wolfenstein was much better. Lastly, i couldn't help but wonder why some of the soldiers in the later missions were speaking english. They were clearly German, and in the cut scenes, they speak german. Maybe a little authenticity would have done this game some good.

Rent this game or get the demo(a free download from gamespot) before you buy it. It is not worth my $65.00, so it might not be worth yours.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/02, Updated 02/27/02