Review by StarOceanMaster

"All your gameplay needs are right here, baby!"

Whew, what a game. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is something that I don’t think I’ll forget any time soon. Created by Stephen Spielberg, with actual Medal of Honor recipient: Dale Dye, and produced, designed, and marketed by EA Games, this is one of my favorite FPS’ ever.

When it comes to console games, I am definitely no EA fan boy, I usually don’t buy the products EA ships, and I don’t trust them. And the first two Medal of Honors created, Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor Underground made for the PSX, were nothing to cheer about. Gamespy rated Medal of Honor: Allied Assault the best PC FPS of E3. That’s quite a blessing, I haven’t played many PC FPS’ of 2002’s E3, but so far, this one takes the cake. Borrow from a friend if you can’t buy it (the lowest price I’ve seen is $40 right now). That brings me to another plus about the game: you can use an individual disk to play. That’s right, after you’ve installed you only need on disk to play and either disk works fine. So the trick is, if you want to play a multi-player with a LAN connection, is to install it on both computers, give one disk to your friend, and one to yourself and you can begin to play.

Storyline:
Your Col. Mike Powell. You’re a highly trained killer, fresh out of the ranks of West Point, and with no time for a graduation celebration soldier, America has just entered a war! And they’re counting on you and a rogue band to go into a military fortress in Africa and rescue a man named Major Grillo, after that brief introduction you begin your journey to save the British from conquest, to save the French from German domination, and to save Italy from themselves.

The beginning of the game is simple, it’s extremely easy, and the AI is very, very stupid. For instance, if you threw a grenade the Nazi’s won’t even notice it. But the ending levels of the game they always notice you before you see them, and if you threw a grenade the Nazi’s always see it they will run, and if they can’t run and are in a large group, one of the Nazi’s will jump on it to save the rest while the others keep on shooting.

Gameplay: 9/10 Shoot, duck, jump, switch weapons, those commands and more are easy, and easy to learn. There is a training mission in the beginning, which I suggest all newcomers to experience. The speed of the game can be extremely fast or very slow, your choice. The intelligence of the AI’s are very smart when need be, but sometimes they are just plain stupid. For example –usually when you sniper a guard anyone in earshot will hear you and return fire, but on a rare occasion, the others won’t even notice that some idiot AI’s got shot in the head and screamed bloody murder, leaving you scotch free to take out the others-.

Graphics: 10/10 Amazing stuff, it’s getting now-a-days that the graphics for Gamecube FPS’ are better than PC shoot-em ups, but this is an exception. The options can give you the choice with the detail of Pong or Halo and everything between. It’s extremely well developed in this category. Trees look like trees, fire looks like fire, and did I mention that the explosion graphics (in the last level especially) are very, very cool.
Sound: 8/10 The problems with the sound is this:
1. Not in place. The sound of you walking is sometime a little late, so when even you stop the sound of your nerve-wracking footsteps are still trumpeting off. Not only footsteps, sometimes gunfire and talking have the faults.

2. Stutters. The sound of your footsteps, gunfire et cetera, can stop then start again and stop, which continues for some time. The better the computer, the better the performance, but that can get ridiculous.

Besides those two glitches, the rest of this section is superb. The overall realistic sound of it is a high quality pleasure to the ear.

Music: 10/10 In any award ceremony for music of 2002, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault deserves a trophy for best score. The composer should be given a bonus, if not a medal. The tunes of the game are delightful, while even though I don’t like the light jazz of the 1940’s (which wasn’t that common compared to the heavy and loud Glen Miller preferences that were popular then) the music is extremely well written and played. Some songs can only be heard in the credits while some can only be heard in the missions.
A problem I don’t mind is that sometimes it will stutter, but that’s okay.

Buy or Borrow? Buy. You’ll do yourself a favor to wait for the price to go down though. I think $40 is a little expensive, since there is VERY LITTLE replay value, after you beat the game Multiplayer will be the only other option.

Also, I think I should mention that if you like Saving Private Ryan then you’ll love this “frisbee-of-joy”. As many, if not most, of the missions play right along side it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/02, Updated 09/09/02