Review by Cpl Syx

"Is it as good as people say?"

When I first looked at this game, I was a little unsure. The WWII FPS had been done to death, and this was just another installment in a long line of them, or so I thought.
After playing the game for about 5 minutes, I realised how wrong I was.

The gameplay is superb. It is one of the few game that I can successfully submerse myself into, and it feels as if you are really there - compared to the whole it's just a game' feel that you get from other FPS's. When I fired my first shot, I was extremely impressed with the accuracy that the guns had been modeled to, including the sounds. The whole game appeared so fluid and real, I didn't think it could get better. However, as the game progresses, it does. The game draws you into it more and more, so that you just want to keep on playing. The controls are standard ASWD controls, and after changing two keys I found them very simple to master. The game has a brilliantly judged difficulty curve, with the game getting harder as it progresses, and also with three different difficulty options, it is very simple to become an expert at the game.

The story goes that you are Lt. Mike Powell of the 1st Ranger Battalion. You find yourself on your own for a larger portion of the game, but it just adds to the tension. Many nights I have spent at my computer, immersed in the game, listening for a sound that might give away the position of a guard nearby.
The game travels through North Africa, Norway, France and Germany, all the time keeping you on the edge of your seat, and your finger tense on that trigger.

Audio and video in this game were not that special I thought, but after turning the graphics settings up I realised I was badly mistaken!
The game is wonderful to look at, and whilst it may not be the most graphically appealing game out there, the atmosphere that is created around you by the buildings, textures and lighting all add to the WWII feel. Add to that the sound, and you will be stunned. The weapon sounds have been added so accurately, and there has not been anything overlooked, even the dull 'clunk' of an empty magazine sounds different for each gun. The ambient sounds make you feel like you are in the middle of a battlefield, or in the middle of nowhere as the case may be. They are very well suited to the atmosphere of the game, and contribute well to the overall gameplay.

Once I had completed the game on the hardest difficulty, the first thing I did was open up the multiplayer option and start playing. The multiplayer took a week or so to get used to, but now I'm so hooked that I have played every day for the last 6 months, and I am still not fed up of the game. Every day I enjoy the challenge of new players and of the new scenarios that occur, and I really don't think I will put this game down for a long time yet. The MOHAA gaming community, in general, are very nice, and most will be happy to answer questions that you may have, so don't feel nervous if you haven't played before. Even on 56k, I find that this game is very playable, and lags the least out of all the online FPS games I have seen.

''Rent or buy?'' I hear you ask. BUY. If you don't already own this game, you need to go and get it soon. If you liked any of the other Medal of Honor games, or RTCW, then you will love this.

Rating:
Gameplay - 10/10 (Immerses you into the situations brilliantly)
Story - 8/10 (Not perfect, but still a lot of fun)
Audio/video - 10/10 (Well fitted graphics and excellent sounds)
Replayability - 10/10 (I'm still playing, 8 months later)

Total score: 10/10