Review by Asok Green

"So here's the thing..."

Here's the only way I can think of to describe this game:

See, it's like nothing you've ever played before. It's amazing to interact with real people and make real friendships while playing a fantasy game. And it's great to play around in a Star Wars-themed universe that truly is big beyond big. And it's really huge. But it's also REALLY REALLY BORING.

I don't know when it happened. For the first two weeks I loved every minute of this game. I played it constantly, and I thought about playing it whenever I wasn't playing. But sometime around this last week I started playing less and less, and soon when I had free time available, the thought of spending it playing the game just seemed unappealing. And that's when I realized it: This game is really quite boring, despite having so many really great things going for it. I mean, the graphics are fantastic. Diverse scenery that creates a VERY different feel on each planet. Tons and tons of creatures, (and I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of different creatures here). And the best part is how there's other people that you play side-by-side with.

BUT:

But after the majesty of it fades away, you come to see that that there's nothing to do. You spend ALL of your time attempting to do one of the following two things:

(1) Leveling. This means doing the same thing over and over again to get very tiny shreds of xp. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE how much time will be spent doing this if you get this game. I needed 48,000 xp to level once, and the ONLY way to get it was to make this certain object that once made, was so useless that no one would buy it. Each time I made the object, I got 140 xp. Do the math. I would have had to make the same object about 345 times. But it didn't stop there. See, in order to make that object I had to get the materials to make it. And each one needed a good deal of materials. I spent the better part of twelve days trying to gather supplies so I could make my 345 objects. And believe me, the method for gathering materials is also slow-going and extremely boring. And then I realized: I'm having absolutely no fun doing this. The payoff I'm going to get for doing all this crap isn't going to be anywhere near worth all the frustration of doing it.

(2) Killing things. On the box, they make it sound like you can do whatever you want to in this game, but don't be fooled: You'll be a hunter, and you'll only do those other things on the side. See, if you want to buy things, you'll need money. To get money, you need to do missions. On all missions, you need to kill things. (Yeah there are delivery missions too, but the pay is so low it's almost a joke) So there goes all diversity, right out the window. They put all this effort into having all these wonderful different types of clothing, and you never see any of it because everybody is wearing armor all the time, as they need to do missions to pay the rent.

That's it. That's all you do in this game. You use all your time building up your character because there's nothing else to do. You spend every minute of gametime doing the same thing over and over again until you build up enough xp to level, and then you get to do some other, slightly-different thing over and over until you level again.

Still, I am kind of glad that I bought this game, because it was a unique experience playing with so many other people, and I've never played a game like that before. But at the same time, this game does absolutely nothing to hold my interest, and I will not be paying for a single day past the 30-day free trial.

I would not recommend buying this game.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/03, Updated 07/14/03