Review by GeckoGamer

"If you haven't already, try RCT before you try this"

If you don't already have roller coaster tycoon, you probably should get that one before you go out exploring this one. This one should not be your first choice. It is an OK game with some education but not bad.

Gameplay
There are two main options in the game. One of them, freeform, is where you get your own amount of money and your own type of scenario and you do it without any missions or challenges to accomplish. The other option, is the scenario one, where you play though the game trying to complete challenges while learning new things on your way. Learning real life facts and gaining more experience on the game.

I wouldn't say that there is a lot of strategy. The reason, one your not pausing the game and you are playing asd usual, you know, like building cages for your animal while still trying to make it happy. The problem there is that every time you put something down the animals will show with either a happy face or a sad face above their head. So you can look to see whats good for them, and then just put that stuff all down with some minor changes and you'll be fine.

When building up cages, there are lots things you must have to support an animal. First of all, you need to have the right cage, one wear everyone can see the animal and that the animal has no chances of escaping. Then, you must have the same grounds as the habitat the animal likes. After that, add maybe the kind of trees the animal most likes. And for some animals, even change the height on the land for animals who would like higher elevation.

Difficulty
This game I'd say has good difficulty. Its starts on easy scenarios then goes and unlocks harder once after you beat the easier ones. And then so on. This game wont last you as long as games like Roller Coaster Tycoon or anything. Its a pretty short length in scenario games and for people who've originally played Roller Coaster Tycoon Zoo Tycoon just isn't as hard as that one.

Graphics
The graphics are good. You can watch and see the animals as they get used to their habitat. They have great AI (Artificial Intelligence) too. The people are all their too, just roaming around. I don't see any problems with the graphics.

Audio
The animals sound realistic, the people you could hear sound realistic, got some good background music. I don't see a problem here as well.

Replay Value
After you beat the scenario mode there is still the freeform mode. Its where you choose your own landscape and other stuff and get cracking. There is no scenario challenge like the scenario mode. Its just a calm day at work.

Overall Conclusion: 6
If you already do not have Roller Coaster Tycoon you must get that one first before going near this one. That game tops this one any day. Yes, this has some education in it and it is a learning experience, but that bore a lot of people and its just not as fun as I think it should be. If you want to check this game out though, then go on ahead and rent it. I give this game a six out of ten.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/07/02, Updated 08/17/02