"Do you like zoos? Then this is the game for you"

Zoo Tycoon is yet another installment in the ever popular Tycoon series. In this series you take on running a zoo. So if you dreamed about being a zookeeper, this is the game for you. What you do in this game is you create a zoo. This is similar to Sim City and Roller Coaster Tycoon. You need to build cages for your animals and you need to make sure you have the right scenery for them. Some animals require certain trees, some require rocks, etc. You also need to put restaurants, trash cans, and fountains for the people who come to your zoo. You also need hire zookeepers to help the animals if they get sick or janitors to pick up trash. It's a really great concept that is hard not to like. The only downside to these games is that once you've built a successful zoo, there isn't a whole lot to do. The graphics are fine. You can tell what the animal looks like as well as the buildings, people, scenery etc. On December 25th Santa Claus will fly over the zoo and on October 31st, a witch will fly over the zoo. Isn't that just awesome? Okay, it isn't.

The good is good. You can hear all the sounds and grunts that come from the animals and the sound sof the animals splashing and getting healed. The sound was good, an improvement I would suggest is having more of a variety of sounds. While there are differences, it can be hard to discern because many are similar. This game could, in theory, last forever. There are several terrains to choose from so if you get sick of your old zoo you can start a new one. Personally, I played this game for about three weeks then never played it again. I created several zoos with many of them doing as much as I possibly could. This will entertain you at first but it does get boring with the lack of urgency and other things to do. There are some neat codes to this game. You can have Unicorns or Triceratops in this game. That was pretty cool. Other than that, not much else, unfortunately. Overall, the game is entertaining. How much you will like this game depends on how much you like Tycoon games in general. If for some reason you didn't like any of the other Tycoons, you probably won't like this one.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/04, Updated 01/16/07