Review by lionellimjc

"RTS dream come true"

I would be the first to admit that I have never been the biggest fan of RTS games. My favorite games have always been the traditional RPG games in the vein of Dragon Quest and Persona series on the consoles. However,I tore myself away from those games to give AOM a try and boy was I impressed.

Graphically, AOM is the best I have seen in a long time for RTS games. Warcraft III, in my opinion did not make the cut. It played ok but graphically it just did not cut it. However, AOM just took my breath away. The immense detail and the varied displays just kept me glued to the game for hours on end. However, the cut scenes were a tad bit disappointing. Still, the obscene amount of effort put into the gameplay animation and graphic detail more than made up for it.

In terms of sound, AOM also stands heads and shoulders above the competition. The MP3 format used for the sound made for good and clear listening augmented by the mood music that suit the atmosphere to a T. However, one drawback was the sound effects from the units. It sounded strange and repetitive after you have sat through a number of missions.

Gameplay is a factor that often weighs heavily on my mind and AOM did really well in that aspect. It impressed me with the ease of control and playability. I introduced this game to a friend of mine who had never played a RTS game in his entire life and he picked it up in a short while and has been addicted ever since. The various different units and the God powers also added spice to the gameplay. It was interesting to have that many units and to see the different Myth units at work. The God powers were also a godsend in times of trouble. All said, this game still holds on to the basic premise of RTS games with some new added elements which made gameplay all the more interesting.

The encyclopedia also made for extremely interesting reading. I certainly enjoyed brushing up on my Greek, Egyptian and Norse folklore.

This game is a game I would recommend buying beyond a shadow of doubt. My only gripe is the cost of the limited edition. I picked it up and though regret is not on my mind, it is not something I would recommend you spending your hard earned cash on. By all means get the normal edition and experience what this age of mythology has to offer. I dare say, you would be hooked for hours on end.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/08/02, Updated 12/08/02