Review by jisduthye

"Quite Possibly The Greatest PC Game Ever..."

A week before I played this, I was beasically in a video game drought. I had already played and beaten all the major games released for my PS2 and I was looking for any kind that could stimulate and entertain me. Then my cousin came over with Age Of Mythology in tow. Atf irst I was skeptical about actually playing it, but then as I tried it and got into it I was amazed.

There are many different modes to choose from. You can choose campaign mode, which is basically the story mode of the game where you control different mythological armies and defeat your various rivals and enemies. There is also warfare mode in which you choose your god and army, pick an enemy, and have all out warfare. There is also the all wonderful multiplayer online mode where you can test your skills against various people from around the globe in 1-on-1, 2-on-2, or 3-on-3 modes. If you're just a beginner but yet want to play an expert, you can play 3-on-1 against your opponent using two computer allies. All in all there are many great options to choose from, and you won't be disappointed.

The gameply is where this game shines. It follows the same basic patterns as a game such as Starcraft or Warcraft, yet it's a lot more simple and so so frustatingly complicated like the other two games. Like the other two games you must first build a base, create and train soldiers, form a battle strategy, and finally attack your opponent and destroy all opposing buildings. In order to create a major building in which you create soldiers, you will have to build a minor building first. You can choose from 4 different difficulty modes to see which one tickles your fancy. Once you actually get into an all out battle, there ismuch to do. You must coordinate a battle plan with which to attack with, choose what type of soldiers to attack with, and which God you will worship for extra power. It makes for hours and hours of enjoyable gameplay that most gamers will enjoy.

The graphics are very well done. The cutscenes that play during campaign mode are visually stunning and will leave you breathless. You'll often find yourself attempting to finish a level as quickly as posible in order to get to the next cutscene. The actual in-game graphics aren't as good but they are still adequate. You experience some choppiness and the characters are not as well put together as you would like, but once you get into warfare the graphics show up. It looks and sounds awesome when one of your soldiers shoots an arrow into the heart of an enemy, or when your God zaps them with a bolt of lighting.

You should definitely be able to enjoy this game for 40+ plus hours. The campaign mode itself contains 32 different levels and warfare mode will occupy you for a good long while as you will undoubtedly want to try out all the different armies and all the different gods. You'll also have to beat campaign mode a good 3 or 4 times in order to get a full understanding of the story. If you have an internet connection on your PC, you may never play another game on your computer again. Being able to play against other live people in the world will have you playing this for months on end.

If you have ever remotely liked games such as Warcraft, Starcraft, or Command and Conquer, you should buy this game without hesitation for it far surpasses the aforementioned games. If you are new to the genre and are looking for a new type of game, you should still buy!! This game will convert you to a fan of simulation(strategy) games if you aren't one already!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/26/03, Updated 07/26/03