Review by Psxmasta

"Doesn't really live up to my expectations"

I've been waitng for this expansion for a couple of months and I must admit that I am a bit disappointed. There was a lot of hype behind this expansion mainly because of the addition of Yuri's side but I got caught up in it. Read on to find out more. Note that this game requires RA2 to play.

Story- 6/10

The storyline of this game takes place after the initial war between the Soviets and Allies following the Allied ending. Anyway, after Allied troops capture Romanov and restore peace to all they remember about the mysterious Soviet Psychic, Yuri, and what could have happened to him. Strange stuff goes down and Yuri surfaces after preparing an army over the last few months while in hiding. The game begins after he threatens to take over the world using mind-control and the Allies must travel back in time to stop him.

The story in C&C games isn't even interesting since RA2's humerous plot. The characters constantly make jokes in the FMVs when it's supposed to be a serios story. Now, I'm not saying they should be full of blood, guts, and gore but please, this a WAR not a corny comedy movie. Westwood should bring back the old style of stroy from Red Alert.

Graphics- 8/10

Nothing really new here from Red Alert 2 but some of the new lighting effects and superweapons look cool.

Sound- 8/10

Some of the units have new voices and there are 8 new really weird techno songs but nothing else. Move along.

Control- 8/10

You can play this game completely with a mouse and the keyboard for hot keys.

Gameplay- 6/10

Single Player Missions

VERY disappointing. The online French taunt, ''Even a trained monkey could execute this maneuver'', holds true. The missions are incredibly simplistic and not fun to play at all. You don't even get to play as Yuri's side in them, only the Allies and Soviets. There are 14 missions in all, 7 for each side. At least one of them is on the moon...

Multiplayer

Since Yuri's side is now in the game there are a number of good new units for him, the Allies and Soviets. I'm not going to list them all here, if you are wondering what they are check out Westwood's website (www.westwood.com). The
gameplay has been drasticly altered from that of Red Alert 2. The build time of tanks has been slowed down so infantry now have a much bigger role, and so do static defenses. Don't be fooled though, it only makes the game slower and you have to follow such rigid build orders to out tank the other players. I hate following build orders as it is but you either do or be crushed.

Overall- 7/10

This game may be not be perfect but it is still a lot of fun to play. And if you can find it for $20 I suggest you pick it up.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/05/01, Updated 11/05/01