Review by Mahaloth

"Wow, that was great. When do I get to play my course?"

SimGolf! Why didn't Maxis think of this before?

Oh wait, they did.

Most people don't know this, but there was another SimGolf before this. In that one, you design courses then get to play on them. It was good, but lacked a lot of things that this new version has. I can understand why they chose not to call this Simgolf 2.0 or give any other indication that this is a sequel. Everyone(but me) forgot about the first SimGolf.

Well, they are pretty good, but not as good as the Sims, where you can zoom in quite close. You can zoom in twice in SimGolf, but on the closest zoom you still feel like you are a bit too far away to really feel like you are in the golf course you designed. This was done so the creators did not have to develop detailed renderings of characters. I actually really like the way this game looked, but would have really liked to be able to get in a little closer.

Well, it is a really fun game that allows you to create courses and manage them. You design each hole, each facility, and what kind of course it's going to be. Control could not be easier. It uses the Sims style of task bar, and is even simpler to use. You also get a little golfer to control. Whenever you want, you can play a round of golf.

Here's the catch. You don't play golf on your own courses
the way you do in Microsoft Links or PGA Golf. Nope, you play from the above angle, the same one you created the course on. This is the biggest error in all of SimGolf. If you could play your own courses from first-person perspective, this game would be the greatest golf game ever.

This game also gets boring after you create about two or three golf course. Yes, there are different locations you can design courses for, but it's all pretty much the same.

Actually, it really does sound like a real golf course. Your golfers speak Simese, of course, but it still sounds quite real. The music is soothing enough, but is not noticeable.

I do recommend this game even though I'm really let down by the lack of first-person golfing. If they released a add-on that allowed you to play your courses, I'd consider buying it. For now, I'd suggest you not pay more than $29.99 for this game. It only lasts a couple weeks at most.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/17/02, Updated 06/17/02