Review by WeeblsPie

"The king of Star Wars games"

I bought KotOR from my local EB Games about 2 years after it was released, I had heard about a lot about it back in 2003 but for whatever reason I never got around to picking it up. I was young, and felt that if it didn't include the characters from the movies than I wasn't interested. When I bought this game I went into it with low expectations, none of my close friends had bought the game so I had no idea what to expect. What I got was an fun, engrossing, and well made game with a well written story and great graphics. It was well deserving of every award it won.

I have never played a funner or finer Star Wars game, or RPG.

Graphics - 9/10

The graphics in KotOR are outstanding, even now. From the deep, dark jungles of Kashyyyk, the bright deserts of Tatooine, and the seabed of Manaan, the game looks beautiful. Each planet that you visit in the game is completely different from the others, you see oceans, you see forests, you see cliffs, you see deserts, you see towering cities, it feels like Star Wars!

The character designs are rendered well, many star wars races are included and each is so creative and different from each other. The scenes of the Ebon Hawk flying through space are awesome and makes you feel like you're watching a movie, it's divine. The NPCs are perfect also, their mouth movements match what they are saying really well.

Sound - 10/10

The classic Star Wars effects are all here, the sounds of a lightsaber, blaster fights, flying through space in a starship, it's all there and it's all perfect, I said earlier that this game can look like a movie, it definitely sounds like one. The characters voices were well recorded and you can feel the emotion in their words. Even voices for the alien races that you cannot understand are well recorded.

The score for this game was written by Jeremy Soule but it stands up there with the movies. The score fits each scene well and works with the situation it's placed with. A fine job.

Story - 10/10

I love the story in this game, it is great. They could turn this into a movie. The game thrusts you into the story as you awaken aboard a Republic ship that is under attack by the Sith, by the time you manage to escape to the planet below you are on a journey to find Bastila, a Jedi. As soon as you find her you escape to Dantooine and become a Jedi, then you are sent on a journey to seek star maps hidden on multiple planets, it is a journey that two Jedi knights, Malak and Revan, took before you that caused them to become masters of the Sith. You need to find this "Star Forge" so you can stop Darth Malak, the Sith master and stop the Sith war effort. It never ends!

On your journey you meet more people and droids that will help you on your quest, each with their own talents and individual story, you also learn about Darth Revan, the second Sith master who was betrayed by his apprentice and captured by the Jedi. You learn about how Revan and Malak ignored the council and led the Republic into a victory over the Mandalorians in the war between them.

I won't go any further into the story. But you can see what I mean, it is an epic tale.

Gameplay - 8/10

The gameplay is the weakest point in the game, and even then the gameplay is still great. The controls are fine, the camera is fine, everything is fine. I found a few glitches in the gameplay but nothing major, the game never crashed, it never froze, I never had to shut it off, restart the computer. I never even had to reload to a previous save.

The quests in the game get creative as you can help or hurt a variety of characters. The dark and light scale provides an interesting spin on things and allows you to make choices that can have effects later on in the game. Do you let these bounty hunters kill a man or do you step in? I think it should have been explored further but it is well done either well.

It's a challenging game, but it's not impossible, it's short, but sweet. You'll enjoy every minute of it but feel disappointed when it ends due to how short it is. It is a game that should have been much longer.

Overall - 9/10

Overall, this is the king of Star Wars games, the game looks beautiful, you have a variety of weapons and armor to use. You can be a Jedi or a Sith, the quests are creative, the story is incredible, the characters are well designed and written, the sounds and music are perfect. It is everything you could ever want from a Star Wars game. It's been 6 years and you should be able to pick KotOR and it's sequel up for pretty cheap. I hope that they make a third and maybe the MMO will work out. Pick it up if you see it, you should not be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/07/09

Game Release: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (US, 11/18/03)