Review by RJx

"Tactical shooters don't get much better than this"

Am I biased because I'm a long-time Tom Clancy fan? Probably. But does that change how good this game is? Absolutely not. Ghost Recon goes where Rainbow Six did, and goes even farther.

Graphics:
This is my favorite part. Okay, my specs--in a nutshell: AMD K6-2 @500MHz, GeForce2 MX400 64mb card, 192MB of RAM. I play this cocaine-in-CD-form at 1024x768 with all graphics details at high with no screen lag whatsoever. Any computer that costs over 100 Dollars/Pounds/Euros/Yen and made in the past three years will run Ghost Recon (mine being a prime example!). The high level of details can be seen in the form of individual falling raindrops, trees swaying in the wind, and the high details seen on the face of the models.

Sound:
Nothing like running around in stormy weather and hearing thunder--and not being able to tell if the noise emanated from your speakers or from outside your window. Each individual weapon has realistic effects to make you wonder if your home is being invaded. To me, sound isn't the most important thing in a game, but I feel that it needs an honorable mention in Ghost Recon.

Gameplay:
I'm face down in the mud, with my SVD aimed at a terrorist's head. I hit him, and he's down--but the sound alerts his friends to the area; one of them sees me, and I get into a battle for my life. I take out my sidearm, but I'm shot once and killed. This ultra-level of realism and difficulty is what makes Tom Clancy books and games so popular. For those of you new to this type of game, there's a training mode handy. It teaches you the basics: how to select weapons, how to shoot, aim, and use the radar system. Single-player is also included, which include missions to all over the world. This is quite possibly the opposite of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. The multiplayer is also a real treat. The co-op and firefight missions make online play a blast, and the beautiful levels make you want to come back for more.

If this game wasn't worth it, I wouldn't be up watching the first rays of sunlight burst through my window and writing this review. On a separate note: tactical shooters are not for everyone! Tac shooters are a relatively new breed, and it'll take a while to catch on as much as Quake. But Ghost Recon really takes the cake.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/28/02, Updated 06/28/02