Review by City2city5

"Great missions and environments, absolutely ruined by the City segments."

I started the Thief series with this game. Only later did I play Thief 1 and 2. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. However, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the missions of this game, but absolutely detested the city portions. Her goes the review:

Pretty good, great lighting effects that actually effect gameplay. That said, some textures are pretty bad, and the guards walk oddly. However, they look nice. Ragdoll is included, but it's pretty bad sometimes, guards often go into an odd yoga-arch stance when knocked out. Sometimes the frame rate dips no matter how low your settings are.

Incredibly sound, from conversations guards have to the sounds you make walking on floors. The guards have great lines and sound convincing and can be downright scary sometimes.

Predictable, but good. Pretty unremarkable.

The missions themselves are quite nice, tense and engaging. Nice environments and cool characters. Some problems include the lock-picking system (way too simple and easy), the occasional really stupid AI glitch, and the bad blackjacking/stealth killing animations. However, you will enjoy the missions I'm pretty sure.

The city, however, is a different matter. Horrible. The city is split up into several different parts, and traveling through each one to go different places gets so tedious and boring. Also, AI doesn't “reset” when you leave, so you could exit an area with one guard following you, and return to a death trap of five or six guards all ready to attack you. The city has several side quests and stuff, but they are all tedious and uninteresting. Later in the game, certain guards attack other guards, so you get 1) a mass of guards all attacking each other and looking completely fake 2) Tons of characters all running around, dropping the framerate to a slideshow and 3) leftover guards from fights who are all alerted, making the game difficult and unrealistic. NPC's move around, but guards only notice you, and will say things like, “What was that noise?” when you walk, despite a running NPC shooting by. The NPC's themselves are stupid and they seem to just walk around aimlessly. Finally, the city gets really boring really fast, because all the streets are similar and the environments are all bland. Also, all the guards look the same and there is no variety.

Bottom line, this game has fun missions that are spaced between horrible City explorations. The result leaves you wanting to get on with the missions and consequently makes the City parts boring and a big chore. Buy this game if you're a devoted thief fan, or don't mind some crappy baggage coming with the game. Otherwise you'll do better starting with Thief 1 or 2.

SCORE: 6/10