Review by dGalloway

"A very good game, really"

I loved the first Deus Ex, so it was natural that I was excited about the sequel. When it came out, though, everybody immediately slammed it into the ground, so I stayed off buying it for a while. Finally, I bought it...and haven't regretted it at all.

Graphics: It was quite obvious that Eidos went overboard with the graphics. The shadow effects are great, and add to the realism. They seemed to have used the ''rag doll'' physics from the Hitman series here; bodies fly around in realistic positions, and can crumple up against a wall if done right. The game just looks sweet...if you can get it to run on max. The game is so graphically-inclined that it requires an insanely powerful card to run all the graphics and keep a decent frame rate (my poor GeForce FX 5200 is not one of those cards). (9/10)

Music: I can't really hear the music that often. It's there, but it's usually drowned out by the sound and voices. What I heard seems to match the first game, which is pretty good news. (9/10)

Sound: The voice acting still leaves a lot to be desired, but it sounds like the characters actually developed something called ''emotion'' (unlike the deadpan characters in DX1). Also, the gunshots sound great, as do the many special effects. (9/10)

Gameplay: People slam this game a lot for its gameplay, but it's actually pretty good, as long as you don't compare it to DX1 (more on that later). Skills are gone; you are now proficient with any weapon, and can only hack into computers via a biomod (like the augs from DX1). Also, all ammo is universal, which means you no longer have to search for shells for your shotgun and rockets for your GEP gun. However, ammo is still somewhat scarce, and each weapon takes a different amount, so the strategic use of weaponry is still prevelant in this game. Also, you have to think about what biomods you want to use; you only have six slots here, and each biomod has a different effect. Finally, inventory is very limited, so you have to be careful in what you carry. Overall, it's not DX1, but it's still good in its own right. (9/10)

Story: When DX1 ended, the world went into an economic collapse (called, appropriately enough, the Collapse). JC and Paul dissapeared without a trace, and became the subject of myths and legends. Your character, Alex D, has escaped from his Tartarus school (a kind of training ground for corporate guards) shortly before a terrorist used a nanotech bomb to level the entire city in less that five seconds. However, ANOTHER attack occurs when he reaches the Tartarus HQ in Seattle, and from there, I'm not saying anything. The plot here is just as good as DX1, but has one major advantage: it's open-ended. DX1's decisions didn't affect anything; you always sided with one group, no matter what. Here, you can pick which group you want to join from the get-go, and even switch your allegience depending on the situation. Sadly, there are only four endings (with an extra joke ending), but the road in-between is just as rewarding. (10/10)

Why people complain: I'm just sick of the complaints this game has received since it was released. I guess people were expecting the exact same thing as DX1, and were disillusioned when it was released. Well, it may not be the first game, but if it WAS the same, I wouldn't be rating it as highly as I am (I like originality in my sequels). Also, the compatibility and stability issues are pretty high. Let me just say something, though: I have a barely average computer with a crappy GeForce FX5200 video card, and I can run the game just fine, without tweaks or anything. And it's a PCI card, too, so you AGP people can just bite me (I'm still bitter). (-100/10 to those who complain)

Overall: The game is great, as long as you don't compare it to the first game. Also, more patches are in the works, so the game can be fixed even more than it is. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to set everything on max some day... (9/10)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/08/04