Review by Grimmbo King

"If you liked NOLF, you'll love NOLF 2"

Sierra has done it again. Everyone's favorite 60's spy, Cate Archer, is back for another round of international espionage. Although reminiscent of the first game, No One Lives Forever 2 has a lot of new features, and a lot of the things that were brought back have been improved as well.

The game itself is pretty standard FPS fare; however, what sets it apart is the theme (think 60's spy movies) and its overall humorous nature. The gadgets are wacky and the dialogue, although sometimes ridiculous, is mostly very funny. The graphics are crisp and clear, although if you want the best visual experience, I suggest having a higher-end video card. The audio is also well done, although I don't think EAX is supported. The storyline is decent, and although it seemed to me a little vague and hard to keep track of, that might be due to my short attention span. The game also implements a new feature that gives you points for completing objectives, gathering intelligence data, and the like. These points can be used to boost your stats in a number of skills, such as maximum health / armor, maximum ammo capacity, proficiency in the use of tools, and other similar attributes. It makes the game feel a little more in-depth and gives the sense of being more in control of character advancement. Another part of this game I really enjoy is the ability to play online in cooperative multiplayer, something I believe not nearly enough games use these days.

There aren't too many negatives, but to be fair, I have to mention them. Stealth is VERY hard to implement, as seeing where enemies are is impossible in certain situations. It's possible to plant trackers on enemies, letting you know their general location from that moment on, but you may run headlong into an enemy before you even know they're there. Also, there is no way to see through doors (no peering through keyholes here, Hitman fans) so you might open one to find something - or someone - right on the other side. Enemy AI isn't bad, but it could be better...in some cases, you can run and hide from a pursuer, but in others, the enemies will track you no matter what you try to do, which will force a confrontation. These are minor issues, however, and most likely will not take away from the overall enjoyment of playing NOLF 2.

After all is said and done, if you're a fan of FPS games, and especially the original NOLF, I would encourage you to give this game a try. You probably won't be disappointed.

Personal Ratings (1-10 scale):