Review by The_Great_Geno

"A once great game, gone way, way downhill."

World of Warcraft. The most popular MMORPG currently on the market with over 10 million players. It was an instant hit when it was released in 2004, and just grew and grew. But, unfortunately, WoW isn't what it used to be in the past. With the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, it just took a downturn to crapville.

Graphics - 7/10
Now, I'm sure we all know that graphics really don't make a game, but in WoW, the graphics are quite outdated. They were good for it's time, of course, but with little updates to the graphics since then, the newer games make the graphics look sub-par. Many of the environments are nice. You have jungles, glaciers, deserts, oceans, forests, plains, and any terrain you can think of. Some of the zones, such as Desolace, are very gray and boring, while others, such as Nagrand, look beautiful. The race's models aren't too bad. There isn't too much customization, but most of the game, you will be covered by gear so you won't be seeing much anyway. In the end, the graphics aren't terrible, but in many areas the graphics are just boring, dated looking, and repetitive.

Sound - N/A/10
The zones do have music and the game does have sound and voice effects, but I never have the sound turned on in the game, I haven't since day one, so I can't accurately review this.

Community - 0/10
This is one of the two major things that drive the overall score down. In the community, you have two types of people. Elitists, and complete idiots. The elitists take an attitude of "I'm better than you in every way.". They act like they are the best player and best thing to ever happen to the game. If you don't have good gear, they will say things such as "lol scrub get some gear". If you get in to any kind of argument with them, regardless of the topic of said argument, they will look up your gear and achievements on the WoW Armory and will just start pointing out flaws in your gear. Just as bad as the elitists, complete idiots are just as the name implies. They are incapable of typing a sentence without "u" "ur" "lol" etc., if you are in a group with them, it is guaranteed they will mess up and kill everybody. It is very hard to decide which of the aforementioned people are worse. Overall, the community of WoW is atrocious.

Customer Service - 1/10
If you want to talk to a GM, you must open an ingame petition about it. This would be a nice feature, but since WotLK was released, it often takes up to 6 hours to respond. You can't even get up or log out. If they respond and whisper you and you're not there, tough luck buddy! You have one chance, and if you blow it you have to wait and do it all over again. The one is only because once they finally do respond to you, they usually do a fairly good job of actually helping out with your problem.

Gameplay - I'm going to divide this section up in to different categories.

QUESTS - 1/10
Fun at first, then very boring and repetitive. Almost every quest in the game has one of the following formats... "Kill X and bring his head to me.", "Kill X Monsters and come back to me", or "Bring this item to X". There's some variation, but that's about it. When you are level 80, you get to do daily quests, which, you guessed it, are doing the same quests every day for gold.

RAIDS AND INSTANCES - 3/10
An instance is when you go in to a dungeon with 4 other people and kill enemies and bosses. A raid is when you go in to a bigger dungeon with 9 or 24 other people and kill enemies and bosses. Let me tell you, some of the raids and instances are pretty amazing... the first time you run them. Good design, good bosses for the most part. Only problem is, at level 80, that and do daily quests is all you do if you're not in to PvP. You run the same raid(s) once a week, every week until you get the best gear. Then what is there to do? Nothing. You can sit there in a city and be bored to tears. This, along with the community, is the second major flaw of WoW. There's so little endgame content that people who don't PvP are bored to death. Some people don't even get the opportunity to do that. If you hit 80 more than a few months past November 2008, no one will invite you. Elitists will only take people already with good gear in to raids. So basically, you're stuck doing nothing either way. Another thing is, the raids aren't even challenging! They take under 3 hours to do, and unless your group is fully of braindead morons, you can do it. WoW has become way too casual friendly.

PvP - pointless/10
There's two forms of PvP. Battlegrounds and arena. Battlegroups are when you're grouped with 10, 15, or 40 other players and you battle against 10, 15, or 40 other random players and try to reach a goal. The goal varies depending on the battleground. Like instances and raids, they are very fun the first few times, then get very monotonous and boring. As for arena, you and 1, 2, or 4 other people just do a death match against 2, 3, or 5 random people. If you win, you earn rating and points, which are used to buy gear.

Overall - 4/10

WoW used to be a great game, but it's hayday has long since passed, and now we have Wrath of the Lich King, a monotonous borefest. Enjoy.
(#3)

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/09

Game Release: World of Warcraft (US, 11/23/04)