Review by Ownehon

"An awesome idea carried out almost perfectly..."

Phantasy Star Online (now referred to as PSO) is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game),which means you play online with other adventurers as yourself, seeking fame and glory. The game drips with fun, but does not go without flaw. Let's check out the review!

Graphics 9/10 - Graphics are the last thing I look for in a game,but it doesn't help to have good eye candy. Phantasy Star Online delivers just that,with lush forests, deep caves and caverns.The visuals are so detailed, you might get killed paying attention to the environment than those Guil Sharks attacking you. The only problem is that the environment appears slowly from a mist as you walk forward.

Sound 7-10 - The sounds aren't as nice and clear as I would like. Some of the sounds are fuzzy, and bland. The music is ok, but a little more variation would be better. I just suggest turn the sound off and pop in your favorite CD in your 'player.

Gameplay 9-10 - Pure awesomeness from this department. Fighting enemies alongside your comrads is a very great expirience, and just what the docter (or that friend who wouldn't stop pestering you until you got it) ordered. Hacking is a problem though, and the fighting of the same enemies over and over get boring. Most of the players are probably 12 year old kids with a problem with life. Replay value in this game is good though, as you may want to improve the growing of your pet mag and your own character as well.

Replay Value 10-10 - The immense amount of items and weapons, along with the different classes make this game a hard one to put down. Killing enemies may get tiresome or old, but trading to get the best items never does. like Lays Potato Chips, you just can't choose one. (Ok ok, I know, it's EAT!)

Price ~$10.00~ a month. This may turn some people off from the game, as they want to play games online for free. Well, the servers cost MONEY to uphold, so they must ''borrow'' some money from you, the customer, to maintain it. it's a fairly good price for such an awesome games. if you want to play online for free, you can always buy the Dreamcast Version 1 of Phantasy Star Online.

Overall 9-10 - While not perfect, it comes close to it. I highly suggest it to any online game fan, or anyone who loves a good hack'n'slash games.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/03, Updated 05/21/03