Review by ToucanBob

"Action Game of the Year"

Before I sing this game's praises to the Heaven, let me first say how scarily realistic this game is. If someone wanted to learn some of the broader tricks of the third oldest profession, this could be considered a veritable how-to guide.

Now, to brass tacks: this game is hands down the best straight-out action game of the year, short of Half-Life, in existence. You play the role of Agent 47, a merciless killing machine who must complete job after frustratingly difficult job in order to save a priest who has been kidnapped because of you. This plot is thin, and really only serves to make you go on jobs where (as Joker once said) you will travel the world, meet interesting people, and kill them. And what jobs they are. The first mission is an extremely well-designed level. The best thing? You can go through the first mission six times, and not have the same experience twice.

The best thing about this game is that it seamlessly blends the best parts of the Thief series and Max Payne. You can use stealth or brute force with equally good results. If you get tired of trying to sneak up on that guard, go ahead and go hog-wild!

As for the physical aspects of the game, it looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and has great play controls. In my opinion, the original Hitman was a great, if flawed game. Well, Hitman 2 has all the good features of Hitman, but fixes the flaws.

In short: Buy This Game!

In summary,

All of the locales have distinct appearances, but whether you're walking through a clinical skyscraper or through a dusty Arabian marketplace, it looks amazing. Characters also have distinct looks, which is good. An Italian guard should not look like a Russian guard, and an Arabic civilian should not look like a Japanese civilian.

From the grunt of a guard to the dull thud of a golf club, this game sounds realistic. The music fits the scene without taking anything away. Voice acting is good: it's not Planescape: Torment, but it's good nonetheless.

Controls: 9/10
Very much improved over the first game. Now you can actually move around without screaming every five minutes. For once, the keyboard and mouse is a fairly good set of controls.

A realistic Professional Hitman simulation: live out your favorite scene from Leon! Pretend you're a cleaner! This game is fun. That's the important thing.

Replayability: 10/10
Your going to want to replay most levels twice Once to play it seriously. Another to turn it into a bloodbath.

This is one of the best, most addictive games I've ever played. BUY THIS GAME!! What more can I say?

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/27/02, Updated 10/27/02