Review by RyanMunyard

"A game that will soon become a classic!"

Introduction:

Every once in a while, the gaming world are introduced to a game that soon becomes a classic. Examples of these classics are Doom, Quake, Grand Theft Auto and Half-Life. Now considering how good Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is, this game should soon end up on that list. If you want to know why, then read on.

The story for this game is alright, but lacks any depth in it. The bad thing about it is that you have to play quite a few missions before the story really starts to unfold. But overall, it's not that bad for a game like this.

Game play: 10/10

The thing that I really love about the game play in Hitman 2 is the way that you can complete nearly every mission at least two different ways. You can either storm in with guns blazing, shooting anything that moves or you can slice a patrolling guard's throat, grab his clothes and silently sneak into a building to take out your target with a silenced pistol and just walk out of the building (right under everyone else's noses) and off into the night. Either way you choose to complete these missions is perfectly fine. Also at the end of each successful mission, the game rates you in two different categories: Stealth and aggression. You then get a rating, depending on what you got in these categories. They range from Silent Assassin to Mass Murderer.

A couple of other nice features thrown into the game include an in-game compass (which can be very helpful when outdoors) an awareness metre (to alert you when they have discovered your disguise) and some saves have also been throw in (the amount of saves depends on the level of difficulty you're playing on)

The reason I gave this an eight is because the graphics are not as good as you would expect for a sequel like this. One of the main things that disappointed me was the fact that when you shot someone (whether they be alive or dead on the ground) no bullet marks will appear. Like I said before, this is what's most disappointing about Hitman 2, considering that in the original Hitman, you could shoot them in the head and a big hole would be left there.

Another reason why the games graphics aren't so good is because when you stand right up close to someone, the shape of their head is not round but made up of oddly shaped straight lines to try and make it look round. (I don't think any game has made the shape of someone's face completely round)

This is where the game really shines. The sound in this game is fantastic. Everything from bullets whizzing past your head during a fire fight to the sound of you choking someone with your fibre wire while they're in the middle of taking a leak to hearing the sound of empty magazines dropping to the ground out of your dual pistols (Real Matrix style!)

Another really strong point about the sound is the in-game music. All I can say is that it's one of the most suspenseful soundtracks in any game that I've played. The Budapest Symphony Orchestra really did a great job with the music.

Replay Value: 10/10

Well considering that the game has been designed so that you can never play two missions that are alike and that there are three difficulty levels, this alone amounts to hours and hours of endless replayability. Plus, you can always play each mission through twice. One to do it properly, the second to just pump people full of lead!

Overall Rating: 10/10

If you are a big fan of the first Hitman then DEFINATELY buy this game! Even if you're not then you might want to download the demo to see if you like it (I'm sure you will) On the other hand, if you prefer just going in blasting everything to hell Matrix style, then this game might not be for you. If so, try Soldier Of Fortune II. Another one of my personal favourites.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/15/02, Updated 12/15/02